Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My '52 147 2.0 ts is sick. Since her 60k service and associated tinkering about cost the equivalent of a months salary, I had hoped for a resumed problem free spell of motoring. Not to be. After 200 miles I got the famed MCS failure warning, and duly stopped. Called RAC. RAC plugged in the diagnostic laptop and deduced it was a sensor failure air flow something(?) Suggested I get it replaced. Safe to continue. Long story, but unable to get to a dealer due to bizarre Scottish bank holidays and needing to be back at work (on Orkney) Anyway, the failure never recurred and I planned to take it in to be checked as soon as I could get back to Inverness.

Cut to the gym car park, four days later. I park. I work out. I return to my vehicle. No power. Lights out, nothing. After an hour.

Helpful fellow gym bunnie jump starts me and I proceed homeward 13 miles. Park. Go to bed perplexed. 6am the neighbourhood is woken by the alarm (unknown noise in these parts!) I approach my car to find her once again flat.

Jump start. Take to local garage (not alfa bloke :()

one week later. No juice. Unable to hold charge in (admittedly ancient) battery - something is draining it. We try every fuse. No idea what is happening...... nothing appears to be at fault. We install a new battery. All well for a week (except that some chap rams into her in the supermarket and writes off the whole passenger side wing....)

I have to go into hospital, so park her in the car park there where she stays for a week. Gets dinged on the other side by another helpful driver. Go to collect her and guess what? dead. Flat.

Oh please all you helpful alfa owners out there.... any ideas welcomed!!!! Shes still at the same garage and still only holding charge for two days max. My nearest Alfa garage is 120 miles and a boat ride away.

N

·
0 Posts
Still sounds like a duff battery. Did they
put a big/new enough battery in ?

Plenty o' threads on this topic. :)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
is the big fat fuse on top of the battery in good nick? does it still have its casing? i got a flat battery a few weeks back, replaced brake light fuse but the large 125amp fuse on top of my battery has lost its casing and when it gets a bit damp it freaks out the dashboard electrics

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - the battery is brand new and plenty big enough, so don't think its that ..... and I did extensive searching of the site before posting, and we have referenced every possible solution and still coming up blank! Guess I was hoping for something new!! hey ho.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks - the battery is brand new and plenty big enough, so don't think its that ..... and I did extensive searching of the site before posting, and we have referenced every possible solution and still coming up blank! Guess I was hoping for something new!! hey ho.....
The garage is not being very helpful for you. If the battery is being run flat, they should see this as a current when the car is turned off. The magnitude of that current would be useful to note.

They say they have pulled all the fuses not finding even one that has a dead-load drain. That seems implausible: Worth checking.

Things to check:
1. Is the passenger light on (the light is its own switch - press the body)
2. Likewise boot light
3. New radio fitted? disconnect it.

Still got a dead-load on the battery?

4. Disable the alarm
With the key in the ignition
1. Turn to "Run" position
2. Turn back to "Stop"
3. Turn to "Run"
4. Back to "Stop" again and then pull the key out.

The alarm sentry light on the dash should then flash, confirming deactivation.
5. To re-activate, just leave the keys in the ignition for +30 secs.

Your post was last year: hopefully all is well now :)

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
OK, here's my theory, when you have the key out of the ignition, go to the back end and remove the passengers side tail light cluster, is there a dimly lit bulb in there. Remember you have the key in your hand so there is no reason for it to be lit. This then proves the bulb out detection circuit is at fault. This requires replacement of the rev counter to fix it.

If there is no dimly lit light then I would suggest you pull out the passengers side wheel arch dirt guard and take a look at the alarm ECU plugs for splits in the rubber. Disconnect the battery before tampering with the plugs or you'll be in a world of hurt. unplug the unit and give the plugs a good cleaning and make sure it's dry in there before you reconnect them. Then try starting the car again.

** ONE BIG WARNING **, if the code is wiped by doing this (it shouldn't be) you'll need to contact the stealer (lucky there's one in Inverness) to get the key code (unless you have it already) this normally takes a week to get from Alfa in Milan and must be handed over the counter to you on production of the V5 document for the vehicle.

If you can get to Lossiemouth this week during the day I can take a look at it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks chaps.... sadly the offending 147 passed away in April and I have a new baby now...... the tale of woe got more and more woeful and can be read in full on my blogsite if you really want to be depressed beyond your expectations!

And Lossiemouth isn't so far - might visit anyway!:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts