Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1.4MA TCT has developed a jiggly bouncy ride, but ones that’s bit inconsistent. Sometimes it’s ok…

It only has 28,000 kilometres on it from new, so something being worn out seems unlikely.

Put new tyres on it hoping I had an out of round tyre or something. Maybe I’ve hurt a shock absorbers towing a bit, but that would make them soft not harder I’d have thought. Nothing in the suspension looks or feels broken, can’t find anything loose…

It did have a new left driveshaft put in under warranty when it was brand new, so wondered if the dealer didn’t do up the driveshaft nut, but I think that’s tight.

Which leaves me wondering about engine mounts and maybe the driveline bouncing around…

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Time does play a part in degrading rubber components.

It did have a new driveshaft put it, so it's not as if nothing goes wrong with a car within it's first 30 or 40 thousand kms.

I'm either imagining things or seen it on these forums that Giuliettas have an issue with front control arm bushes and/or front shock mounts. But as I don't have a Giulietta it's not something I follow closely.

Or maybe the other driveshaft? Depending why one had already been replaced.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Time does play a part in degrading rubber components.

It did have a new driveshaft put it, so it's not as if nothing goes wrong with a car within it's first 30 or 40 thousand kms.

I'm either imagining things or seen it on these forums that Giuliettas have an issue with front control arm bushes and/or front shock mounts. But as I don't have a Giulietta it's not something I follow closely.

Or maybe the other driveshaft? Depending why one had already been replaced.
The shaft was only replaced because a CV boot was torn somewhere in shipping and it threw the grease out on the 500km drive home from the dealer where I picked it up brand new ;) A whole brand new shaft was fitted under warranty.

I’m more concerned with the workmanship…

I’d be concerned anything is worn out - it’s only 4 years old and less than 30,000 kms (not miles) on it….

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Possibly a slightly buckled rim, or more than one, so that when the flat spots are out of sync it's not noticeable, but when they sync up you get the jiggles/giggles/wiggles?

Sorry, but without taking the car for a test drive with a plate of jello on the passenger seat to detect when the "jiggles" initiate I couldn't give a better suggestion.

And yes, I have been drinking (hic) 🍷

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Possibly a slightly buckled rim, or more than one, so that when the flat spots are out of sync it's not noticeable, but when they sync up you get the jiggles/giggles/wiggles?

Sorry, but without taking the car for a test drive with a plate of jello on the passenger seat to detect when the "jiggles" initiate I couldn't give a better suggestion.

And yes, I have been drinking (hic)
Now I want some jelly…

No, wheels all straight. Getting balance checked on old tyres and rims checked was the first thing I did.

I do remember reading the main right engine mounts are short lived on these (can’t be as bad as Megane 2 ones - they’re made of cheese…) and it will be getting a timing belt soonish based on time. Maybe I’ll toss a new mount on then and see what changes…

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Yes, the drivers side engine mount is a know weak point on the Giulietta. Is your drivers side mirror vibrating when standing at idle?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the drivers side engine mount is a know weak point on the Giulietta. Is your drivers side mirror vibrating when standing at idle?
No, this one is ok in that regard. The last one rattled its mirror from new though.

Need to find the exhaust leak at some point too. Sounds like a manifold leak. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Bouncy ride can only be dampers , but at 28k ? but all cars can have that , mine is on 84k after 10 years and all dampers ok

Reactions: mru

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Like @richardk12 said, it's dampers rather than mounts. Tie rods is another thing to look at after all that heavy hauling you've been doing.

Maybe it's a good opportunity to adapt the suspension to Tasmania. :cool::love:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
A bouncy ride cant be mounts (they make a cluck noise) it also cant be any rubber connectors , you will have bad steering , its difficult to test dampers in situ but check for oil leak around the damper

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It’s not anything in the suspension. I should be clearer - it’s more a car shake/jiggle than the ride.

I’m am now confident it’s the driveline moving around and under certain circumstances it’s moving around at wheel rotation speed which will be the driveshafts moving it.

I also put it in gear with the bonnet up and applied load in first gear, and the engine lifted quite a bit!!

It’s fine for the moment and doesn’t do it all the time - just certain combinations of load and road bumpiness seems to set in motion a bouncing around. It’s due a cam belt on time in a year so I’ll treat it to new mounts then while I have it apart anyway.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Like @richardk12 said, it's dampers rather than mounts. Tie rods is another thing to look at after all that heavy hauling you've been doing.

Maybe it's a good opportunity to adapt the suspension to Tasmania. :cool::love:
Best thing there would be a lift kit, some BF Goodrich all terrains and some reinforcement of the suspension - the potholes are getting crazy!

Met a woman recently who blew a tyre so hard it mashed the fender on her Ford suv thing… She was lucky to kept it straight!

I saw one hole at least 80cm round and 50cm deep in the middle of the lane on a 110kph highway. If I’d dropped a wheel into that at that speed it would probably have written the Alfa off…

Australia is amateur hour for road building, and lots of trucks smash the roads. And of course we closed all the train lines so more trucks…

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well our go ernment is just as smart: result is that it is much cheaper to ship by truck than by train. To make matters worse, the rsilroad budget was spent on non working high speed trsins, and boni / bonuses for the big chiefs.
And to make sure you sink the railroads, or increase the stress on the roadways, the bus roites were subsidized to "allow for greater competition".

Of courde, lower prices only come at reduced tax revenues and significantly lower wages.

We are now at a stage were the lower 20%of gull time eorkers rewuire social assistant to make ends meet.

What a country!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts