Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jet wash most my past cars engine's but never done this on a diesel car.. So my question is will come to any problems? I will cover up electrical connectors before cleaning!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I think jet washing the engine bay is a bad idea, it will force water under high pressure past the waterproofing into any electrial plugs you go near where it will stay and start corroding and give problems in the future.

You'd be much better off with a hand spray degreaser a stiff brush and a watering can of hot water

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:paperbag:

Seriously.... Don't be a diptard mate... Step away from the jet washer.. Worst idea ever..!!!

Damien.

Reactions: Neddyboy

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Saw the first post and thought it was a troll....

You'd have to be insane to go near any engine bay with a jet wash, unless the engine and all electrics/ancilaries had been removed first..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Insane idea! :furious:Never jet wash your engine bay! You'll b****r up your ignition and electrics at best. Use degreaser and loads of elbow grease.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow ok guys think I get the idea! But over the 20 odd years I've been driving and I have owned a fair few cars I've more leas jets was everyone and had no issues at all.. I was only asking this time as this is my first diesel

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Depends how you do it really.
I personally wouldn't bother and just clean the parts you can see. As unless you steam clean and use a de-greaser it won't remove the muck anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lol, funny responses guys.
Yeah you need to be really carefull of the ignition system on a diesel... don't want to get the distributor wet... :thumbup:
https://youtu.be/qr8eEWyKQHM
:jester:
Truth is that diesel engines and modern electric plugs are much more resistant to water.
Like Scotty said, it's just like making love... it's all in how you do it!
And from your past experience RC you will be fine. Just don't direct blast the computer components.

If i hadn't seen dozers being operated by men in scuba gear moving earth underwater, with my own eyes, i wouldn't have beleived it.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I think its more the idea of condoning it on a forum to someone that it will be fine and then they do something someone else wouldn't and it kills their car.

I mean people detail their engine bay but again I'd be careful about you going nuts with a jet wash. Not to say I ahven't used one as I have. But I've been very careful about where its aimed.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Sorry for me unless your engine is caked in fresh warm mud, its a dam lazy way of cleaning your bay. I detail my cars and engine bay, having had show cars in the past. But blasting water in there is such a bad idea whatever and however you do it...Especially an Alfa where metal quality is good awful. Just take off your engine cover and get a rag and work your way round it. ;-)
Damien.

Reactions: Whitlam
1 - 12 of 12 Posts