Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I recently started a thread in the General Alfa Discussion forum about my hunt for a 166. I took the plunge and bought one with some issues (life would be boring if everything worked as it should all of the time, right?☺). Anyhow, my lovely 2002 3.0 Lusso has plenty of issues and I am excited about dealing with them. The car is a Japanese import, low miles, immaculate body work, no rust, drives really well, etc. Downside is it came with no history, and in fact with nothing but a key. The non-working remote key now works thanks to giving the internals a thorough clean with contact cleaner and a new battery. Hurray, problem no 1 solved!!

Which brings me to problem no 2. The ICS lights up but is currently in Japanese. Not a problem if the control button (round knob on the lower right side) worked, but alas it doesn't. Oh, there is also no code card. I am planning to take out the unit to get the serial number but before doing so does anyone have any advice regarding the issue of the knob not working? I will try and post a picture of the ICS unit. Thanks in advance. Oh, I will start separate threads covering each of the issues I have found so far... more to follow!!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Which brings me to problem no 2. The ICS lights up but is currently in Japanese. Not a problem if the control button (round knob on the lower right side) worked, but alas it doesn't. Oh, there is also no code card. I am planning to take out the unit to get the serial number but before doing so does anyone have any advice regarding the issue of the knob not working? I will try and post a picture of the ICS unit. Thanks in advance. Oh, I will start separate threads covering each of the issues I have found so far... more to follow!!!
You've got several tricky problems to solve with your ICS there.

I'd consider buying a working replacement with a code...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good news on the ICS, It is now working, didn't even need the code. The buttons were all working, what I hadn't realised was that the ICS had been locked out. Presumably someone (not me!!!) had tried the wrong codes before. I left the key in the MAR position for 60 minutes, after which the display asked for a log in code. I entered the default 4444 code, and bingo it started working. I managed to change the language to English, and everything now seems to work. So happy not to be facing the prospect of having to buy a second hand ICS.

Separately, the car has now had a cambelt and full service from A for Alfa in Aylesbury, a new set of Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres fitted, and will shortly receive a good clay bar / was / polish and wax. Happy days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts