Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alfa Romeo haven't had a good start to 2014 with a drop of over 10% in UK sales (which was already a drop from 2012).

Only 297 cars were registered compared with 332 in 2013 - against a backdrop of an increase in the market of 7.6%.

FIAT had a good month. 26% up on last year with 4,223 registrations - however that still wasn't quite as many as the number of VW Golfs registered in January. (4,390)

The April re-launch plan should be interesting.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Just goes to show 4,390 people can be wrong !!

Not surprising with AR unfortunately,limited range and limited looks.(Now stands well back)

·
Registered
41,386 Posts
If it gets much worse they will end up pulling out all together, the dealers cant survive on scraps like that much longer. Here's hoping for some good news in April

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Alfa Romeo haven't had a good start to 2014 with a drop of over 10% in UK sales (which was already a drop from 2012).

Only 297 cars were registered compared with 332 in 2013 - against a backdrop of an increase in the market of 7.6%.

FIAT had a good month. 26% up on last year with 4,223 registrations - however that still wasn't quite as many as the number of VW Golfs registered in January. (4,390)

The April re-launch plan should be interesting.
Wow, impressive sales for Fiat. Seems UK is not that "German" as Poland is. We have Skodas and VWs all over...

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Just goes to show 4,390 people can be wrong !!

Not surprising with AR unfortunately,limited range and limited looks.(Now stands well back)
No need to stand back, it's the truth.

4C is just another unobtainable halo model for people who can afford to spunk 50K on a toy.

Everyday driver? Cayman all day long...

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Fiat 500 had 2,595 registrations in the UK in January 2014, making it the 10th best selling car in the UK. (Fiesta first by a huge margin of 4600, then Focus, Corsa,Golf,Polo,Astra,A3,Qasqai,Juke,500 all about 200~500 units apart).

But what's your point, exactly? VW's best-selling model was Golf. It and the Polo account for the majority of the brand's sales (14,436 total, of which 8,265 are either Golf or Polo), despite the endless line of models that VW offers. The same pattern repeats with all makers: there are perhaps two models that claim the bulk of sales (Ford's 21,700 sales are dominated by 14,300 Focus or Fiesta cars)

But it's not just about units. Only the Audi A3 matches the kind of margins on sales of 500s (and even that's debatable once you count the used price supports that VW put into their car finance these days).

You'll never get a figure of "profit per sale" out of any manufacturer, but if you did, I imagine you could invert that top ten and it'd be fairly realistic.

By the way, speaking of profit. 63 Maseratis were registered in the UK this January.. last year it was 25.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
My point is FIAT really only have sales success with one model as you demonstrate.It is unfortunate as I say, as I have owned a dozen or more Fiats (most bought new) over the years.
I have also just bought a new Fiesta last month which is a very good car especially with the ecoboost engine.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
500L is also selling strongly, about half to two thirds of the numbers of 500, I think. but SMMT don't provide a make/model breakdown outside of the top ten. Both of these are high-margin vehicles, and they're against competitors that are often losing money on their sales.

What you're seeing is two different strategies. VW and Ford are spending their way through the slump, but FIAT decided to cut their losses, and not launch product into a dead market (especially as their money would be better spent in acquiring Chrysler)

VW started this by using huge profits in China to bankroll discounts in Europe. Their goal was to force one of the weaker carmakers out of business, and FIAT was a prime target thanks to the then Italian government's lack of support. Unfortunately, FIAT's acquisition of Chrysler has rather scuppered this plan.

Now that things are improving, and the Chrysler deal is done, FIAT will be able to offer competitive products.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The bg question is: Will they sell enough in the US?
FIAT USA Sales January 2014: 3,222 = 2,493 FIAT 500 + 729 FIAT 500L .

Sales of 500 are steady, year-over-year; 500L is new.

This is a very small market niche in the US. For comparison, MINI sold 2,543 units across seven models.

·
Registered
32,051 Posts
No need to stand back, it's the truth.

4C is just another unobtainable halo model for people who can afford to spunk 50K on a toy.

Everyday driver? Cayman all day long...
Feeling the love from JagLand matey!
Seriously , an unattainable model is not a bad alternative to an advertising spend to get magazine coverage . It works for Audi, BMW , Porsche etc. As long as its followed up with some new models that build on the strengths/ethos of lightweight efficiency of the 4C . ...

·
Registered
41,386 Posts
Give it a boot and knock 5K off the price and it would sell like hotcakes.
its already selling like hotcakes, the first 18 months worth of production are sold out, or at least the UK supply

·
Registered
32,051 Posts
Give it a boot and knock 5K off the price and it would sell like hotcakes.
What , the 4C ?
Do you think that it's going for volumes?
I'm sure I saw a headline in Alfablog about 5000 per annum. With the tech it probably just about breaks even.

M

·
0 Posts
Wow, impressive sales for Fiat. Seems UK is not that "German" as Poland is. We have Skodas and VWs all over...
Bare in mind that the Golf is only one model against fiats entire range, and even the cheapest golf is likely to be more expensive than the most expensive fiat.

As for the comments on sales of the 4c, it's made with a carbon fibre chassis which restricts how many can be produced, and production has only just started. There will only be a few hundred in existance so even in Monaco, I would expect to see more 8C's. They won't have a problem selling the 4c, but there will never be that many.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
and even the cheapest golf is likely to be more expensive than the most expensive fiat.
The price doesn't matter in the long run. What matters for the relative health of the companies is how much money they make on each car sold. I believe that when everything is accounted for, a FIAT 500 sold provides more money to FIAT than a VW Golf does to Volkswagen.

Or, to use a well worn phrase: "turnover is vanity, profit is sanity"

1 - 20 of 77 Posts