Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im glad I have already ordered my 155 veloce (now obsolete before I get it) Veloce as the new pricing looks exceedingly crap. For the models that can be directly compared, I seer the following approx increases.

1.4 16v junior (+£950)
95 torismo (+£860)
95 Lusso (+£780)
95 Veloce (+£800)

(if you can get 120's....)
120 torismo (+£880)
120 Lusso (+£810)
120 Veloce (+£730)

155 TB
155 Lusso (+£830)
155 Veloce (+£770)

On my order, there would be a real increase of about £400 as I already know my car has an extra £375 of vat to pay.

It gets interesting though, as it seems i couldnt order a veloce 155 now unless it was stock... and thats unlikely to be my spec. So, if I had to chose now Id either have to choose

135 multiair. I get 20hp less and end up paying £330 more than I did.

Or, i could go for another 15hp and go for a 170 cloverlear at £1920 more.

Say friggin what?

I thought the car industry was supposed to be having a bad time and Alfa have this kinda pricing structure and changes?

I think if I were ordering now, i may not bother as the car is becoming stupidly overpriced. It is after all a little 4mtr long roller skate derived from a punto... added value to the max I think.

B

·
0 Posts
Can't help but agree, I was having a mess on the Alfa site the other day as I was curious to see if the new cloverleaf had made it on the site yet (for reference it's not on the UK site, but if you are interested, the Italian site now has it on there), anyway...

As the VAT has gone back on I thought I would have a look and see what my car would cost now and my car / spec combo came in at ridiculous eighteen and a half grand! VAT increase and yet another sneaky price hike.

Crazy!!! I like the car, but would I pay that for it, absolutely no chance on this earth; sorry Alfa, but if I was buying a car now, it would certainly not be going for a glorified Punto at that price.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Steve (and sorry, not intending to rub it in or anything, just my thoughts), the mito was already at the very top of what I would have paid for it (as it had a couple of options) and nearly didn't buy it.

I wouldn't have paid any more for it though - and certainly not the amounts above.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
can only say here, here to the above posts, i got my non turbo lusso in october using the scrappage scheme but looking at how the price has rocketed i don't think i would have been so keen now, as its still only a 'b' segment car, i thought this country was trying to come out of a recession? this is a funny way of doing it, even the optional extras have shot up in price, i call mine a roller skate sometimes, especially with its 16'' wheels

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Crazy!!! I like the car, but would I pay that for it, absolutely no chance on this earth; sorry Alfa, but if I was buying a car now, it would certainly not be going for a glorified Punto at that price.
You obviously haven't seen that the punto of comparable performance is 19.5k, a full fat clio or corsa is not far off either, the mini, well !!!!

While people weren't paying attention car prices have shot up.

M

·
0 Posts
You obviously haven't seen that the punto of comparable performance is 19.5k, a full fat clio or corsa is not far off either, the mini, well !!!!

Its more like 17k for the 180hp abarth but thats still not cheap. Not sure what effect if any will occur when the scrappage scheme ends. Prices should decrease alittle in theory....but somehow i doubt they will....

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
17k :lol: its not been that for a while, when I went for a test drive and proceeded to spec mine it was a lot more, I was shocked as it was hard to find price info beyond the initial launch stuff which went out of date quick, I liked the idea of one at 15k ish (assuming a discount) but at what they are trying to push I wasn't to keen, interior too outdated and cheap for the money they want, here are the prices

Abarth Grande Punto esseesse - Vospers, Abarth Dealer in Plymouth

OK so it's 18.4 but there's a few things on thing QV the Punto lacks which pushes up the price of the Punto.

I agree these little cars are getting expensive, but so are its competitors so what are you going to do, though there is a point where it has to stop, I mean a Renaultsport Megane rs250 Cup is launching at 22k, with the usual Renault discounting scheme it'll probably end up cheaper to buy one of those than these little city runabouts :lol:

·
Registered
702 Posts
I wonder how much my car has actually depriciated because of all these rises........ I specced my car up and now costs just under £20k when I paid just under £18.5k :wow:

Might go trade in for a used Brera now :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
17k :lol: its not been that for a while, when I went for a test drive and proceeded to spec mine it was a lot more, I was shocked as it was hard to find price info beyond the initial launch stuff which went out of date quick, I liked the idea of one at 15k ish (assuming a discount) but at what they are trying to push I wasn't to keen, interior too outdated and cheap for the money they want, here are the prices

Abarth Grande Punto esseesse - Vospers, Abarth Dealer in Plymouth
Base price on the abarth website for the SS model is 17,149,00. (provided you dont click on the interior button on the configurator which changes it to leather seats)

HOME

Vospers seem to be quoting higer prices then i have came across, the abarth starts from 13.8k from rockingham cars instead of 14.4k from vospers. It was 13k starting price towards the back end of last year. Although these prices are with no options selected.

Small cars generally seem to be getting more expensive.....these price rises mean my Mito would cost me £15k today.......seems alittle on the high side to me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Small cars are becoming more popular as more people downsize...end result manufactures charge more for them as they are in high demand.

Im currently looking at buying a A500 or Mito Cloverleaf (to replace the Spider) both with plenty of options, end result is that both are around the £20.000 mark, which i admit does look expensive but there are not many other cars on the road that have as much passion and style.
After two years of the hefty Spider im looking forward to owning a small, perky car again :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think whats really screwed things up is the scrappage scheme.

I think at the moment, the 1.4 GP 3 dor punto is something like 11-11,500 grand?

When I went for a quote to a dealer about a year ago, driving him into the ground cos we had bought two new cars from him before, I got a price of £7,700.

Since then we have bought new

Hyundai I10
New 120tb mito
New 155tb mito
New fiat 500 pop

And got exactly bum all discount in total of the purchases.

I think this is because the dealers are having to keep prices high to fulfill their part of the scrappage cost.

Now, compare the 7,700 i got for a 95hp punto to a dolled up version that becomes a Mito at about 13K or so with no discount? Thats where I fell there is some kinda rip off going on.

Aroughcircle - im not feeling bad about the price increase from my point of view - i managed to get my order in before these hikes and the 155 got replaced by something lower powered or £2k more expensive.

But as Mattgusto said to me last night - its gonna help a lot with the resale value!

B

·
0 Posts

The difference is though that is RRP and only an idiot would pay that for a Punto as it's a Fiat and massive discounts are to be had, whereas the Mito doesn't get discounted significantly.

Mini's can be cheap but as with anything resembling a BMW, options are a joke price-wise and rapidly increase the price.

For c£20k you can buy a much better car than a Mito, Mini, Punto, etc. and the point being that at the new price the Mito really isn't worth it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
my mito was the first brand new car i've bought, after getting curious about the toyota indesit (sorry iq) i looked at the options list, a jbl audio upgrade is 900 quid! (makes the alfa bose seem like a bargain) and best of all was a glovebox lid for 50 quid extra, on a fridge (sorry car) that costs 10 grand, even traction control is a 700 pound extra, it seems to be the norm that when buying a new car the expression 'taken for a ride' has a whole new meaning

·
Registered
200 Posts
Insurance groups now go to 50 :cheese:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts