Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2005 147 Selespeed
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time I drove my 2005 147 Selespeed, the car wouldn't go into 2nd or 4th gear for a while. (This morning I turned the power on (not the engine), heard the pump going just fine, and successfully flicked through all the gears, so we'll see...). The manual reads "if jamming occurs during gear engagement, the system firstly tries to engage the gear required again and, if it is still not possible, it automatically engages the immediately higher one to avoid leaving the car in neutral." So, like the well-behaved forum newbie that I am, I searched the forum for "jamming" (23 pages, 460 posts). I found lots of jammed CD players and lots of Pearl Jam references :) but nothing resembling my issue. What's the commonly-used phrase here that I should be searching for? "Skipping"? "Jumping"? "Alternating"? "Bypassing"?
(And ya, now there are 461 posts.)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Your problem could be any one of a number of things -

1/ Simply needing a Calibration
2/ Adjustment of clutch rod
3/ Loose "Pinch Bolt"
4/ Worn sensor
5/ Ect ect ect.

You first need to have a diagnostic carried out on it by someone who has the correct software and understands how Selespeeds work. Any advice I could give till then would just be speculation and a wild stab in the dark.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The system will leak pressure slowly. After a number of minutes, the pump will cycle again to restore pressure to system maximum. It could be two minutes, it could take nearly ten (check more than one cycle). This time interval measured, is a quick guide to the system’s “health”.

·
Registered
2005 147 Selespeed
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pump went on after five minutes, then after nine minutes, and again after another nine minutes. Every time it went on, it was only for about a second. Thanks!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Good information.

It should run longer than a second. What that’s suggesting to me, is your system holds internal pressures very well but your accumulator has lost significant gas pressure. Do you know how old it is?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
addo - I would point out that what seems like "a second" to one person is an eternity to another, ;) (but I do see where you're going with this)

A faulty Accumulator can cause all sorts of issues, but I find it odd that it would only stop the actuator from going into 2nd & 4th gears and no others. :unsure:

Jimmy, you need to get a diagnostic carried out on the thing, by someone that can look at the various parameters and stored errors (if any) and see what's going on, there are just too many different issues that can be causing these symptoms.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a not going it 4th gear issue today. I have had it a couple of times intermittently. Pulling the big multiplug and the plugs for the sensor on the top and back and cleaning them with contact cleaner has fixed it so far. It throws error code P1818.

The EV2 solenoid controls 2nd and 4th gear selection if I'm not mistaken and the position of the piston it controls is determined by the sensor on the top.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Gesture Font

·
Registered
2005 147 Selespeed
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Being 2 hours away from anyone who'd have Selespeed diagnostic abilities (and also being leery of lighting up someone's eyes with "****** dollars!" before I've maxed out my ability to diagnose the issue myself), I'll order the necessary cables from iDiagnostics (ELM + KKL + green red & yellow adapters) when I receive the invoice (shipping to Chile isn't an iDiagnostics/PayPal item). Getting a Haynes manual for attempting what repairs I choose/dare to attempt hasn't been so successful – I'm unable to buy the online manual (plus AutoFix) 'cuz my credit card's US (I tried to purchase HAYNES AUTOFIX ALFA-ROMEO 147 FACELIFT 5 doors - 2004 to 2010 from the UK website, received the "We do not allow billing and/or shipping to the United States from this region. Please navigate to our US division at Haynes.com/en-us". I navigated – I couldn't seem to find any Alfa Romeo anything, and a search for AutoFix proved inconclusive as well. I clicked on FAQs/Do you publish your manuals in electronic format? – the displayed link simply took me back to the UK website where I'm not allowed to order the online manual. :p) Haynes (both countries) has yet to answer my cries for help.

I was going to run the time-the-pump test again, but someone's weed-wacking or running a chainsaw or something across the street – waiting nine minutes to catch a quiet possibly-one second-long sound needs quieter conditions, so I'll do that later today.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2005 147 Selespeed
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ran the timing test again, same results. The pump only goes on for a second, maybe a second and a half, but definitely less than two seconds.

Maybe I ought to take the car out for a spin. :p Everything's within walking distance so it doesn't get that much use, and I haven't driven it since the shifting issue appeared. (I'm now getting a brake light failure message, I'll have to look into that before I go anywhere, though.)

·
Registered
970 Posts
I’d hazard a guess your accumulator is dead flat.

Replacing this is paired with renewal of the pump motor or just its carbon brushes, and replacement of the heavy-duty pump motor relay.

·
Registered
2005 147 Selespeed
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The pump consistently goes on (for about two seconds) when I make the second gear change.
Another relevant point might be: when the door is opened (when the pump first goes on), it goes on for about ten seconds (approximately thirty's the norm, correct?)

And to answer addo's ten-posts-ago question, no, I don't know how old the accumulator is. I don't know a lot about this car – I've owned it for only six weeks, and as my Spanish is pretty minimal, interrogating the seller wasn't much of an option (the most I got out of him was when the timing belt was due to be replaced). When I first test-drove the car, I had no idea "what's the deal with this transmission??", I didn't know what I was buying :p, and my inability to understand his explanation of how to simply get it into gear meant I had to rely on my instincts. It was an interesting first five minutes – first I thought this was some kind of semi-automatic transmission, but I could feel and hear that there was a clutch working. (I've done a lot of reading since then!)

·
Registered
2005 147 Selespeed
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One other hopefully-relevant point: I'm spending hours (not that I mind at all) reading posts, and I came across a couple that mentioned that once the new accumulator was installed and everything calibrated etc how fast the Selespeed system shifts. My 147 has never shifted fast (slower than I'd be able to shift with a manual transmission), and I just figured that that was par for the course. To be more specific, it's not so much the gear change that feels sluggish as it is the re-engagement of the clutch, but maybe the clutch is simply waiting for the transmission?

At any rate, thanks for all the help! I haven't worked on my cars since the early 80's (and spent most of this century not even owning one, as I was travelling non-stop for work). Back then, the repair/replacement routine was (1) be informed by the local (Pennsylvania) semi-annual inspection authority that my right tie rod end wasn't passable, (2) go to the junk yard and buy a right tie rod end, (3) scooch under the car with my newly-purchased unit, find the old matching one and replace it (Chilton's of course helped). There weren't any forums like this (let alone the Internet)! Thanks again!

·
Registered
2005 147 Selespeed
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From emranvalera, Mar 18 2009: "If you open the door and the pump stays on for bout 10 seconds then that is too long. it should fully prime and should ideally be no longer then 5 second." So, being obviously wrong about 30 seconds being the norm :p I opened the door to time it: 14 seconds.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts