Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 159 2.2 JTS 185hp
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just drove my 159 and everything seemed to be fine... until... I parked and tried to get out of the car and the door wouldn't open. I thought that it's probably just the inside handle that won't work, so I opened the window and tried to open it from outside, but nothing happens. I managed to climb out from the passengers side. I then struggled to remove the inside door panel which was really hard because the panel was stuck between the door and the dashboard. I thought that it will be necessary to remove the panel in order to fix the problem, so I shred the panel off, while knowing that I will be breaking 3 of the small white pins that hold the panel in place, but thought that I would just get new ones. I managed to remove everything from the way and everything looked okay. None of the cables were out of place and everything seemed normal. I'm pretty sure, that the problem is in the latch mechanism. I'll just buy a new latch and replace the old one and everything should be working again. But how do I remove the latch mechanism if I wont get access to the three bolts that are holding it in place, because I can't get the door open. I had just recently put new bolts in, because somehow the previous owner of the car had removed all 3 of them and the latch was wiggling around. When I put the new bolts in, I noticed that the latch didn't lock with the undermost bolt in place, so I removed it and the door worked as it should, with just the 2 bolts holding the latch in place. I didn't have any problem with it until now. I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the new bolts I installed. This problem messes my head up and I don't know what to do anymore. Has anyone had a similar problem and have you been able to solve it without prying the door open with force and completely destroying the door? I hope that somebody could help me. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have no experience with this, but I would use some anti-seize agent and try to apply it from the inside (inside the door frame).
Wiggle with the latch, and maybe push the door inward when trying to unlatch to prevent any force on the latch. Maybe it will open and you'll be able to replace it without using force. I suppose it will need some persuasion, maybe get someone to help you with it. Also try and activate the latch itself, the cables might have stretched a bit over lifetime, and with direct actuation you might just persuade it to open.

I reckon it is impossible to change or remove the latch with the door closed.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
You will need to get creative and bust the rear of the latch off so you can access the lock part and manually release it to open the door.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had this exact problem on my first car - a 2003 Polo. Had to tear the door trim off and then get a hammer and chisel out and smash the lock assembly to pieces.

Looking back it might've been easier to just drill the locking mechanism to pieces, but where's the fun in that? 😏

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had this problem on a Brera. Had to use a Dremel with various cutting discs and milling heads. Chewed all the plastic off and eventually got to the actual latch using the new one as a template to get me there. I did take a week on and off. You just have to keep going. Eventually enough removed large flat headed screwdriver twisting against the lock turned it allowing the door to open. Good Luck!

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 159 2.2 JTS 185hp
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies! I will begin to cut the mechanism into pieces and hopefully everything goes as planned. Wish me luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts