Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Had to stop watching. Was about to take a wine bottle to the TV. :mad:
Agreed! Got totally fed up after another singing act came on at the 57 D Types/Le Mans bit. All a bit lovey "let's put on a show" for me.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I wonder how live it was, I wonder if they scrubbed people shouting show us the ****ing car out of the audience. :D

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Just before I threw in the towel I laughed when one of the characters proclaimed how it was all about the people's love of cars then off we went on more prattle and another singer.

I just wanted to see the chuffing car! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Nice at the front, Audi at the back. The interior isn't anything like as cleanly designed as the XF's (I didn't expect it to be as well finished as the more expensive car, but I did expect some of the same ideas). Very cluttered centre stack.

I'm disappointed by the styling: looks like it went through too many buyer focus-groups. The volume-selling engines don't impress either, although the car is expected to be lighter than the competition (although my guess is it'll only be about 50kg lighter than an equivalent engined 3-Series).

·
Registered
543 Posts
With the Giulia still a long way off :rolleyes:and planning to change the Lexus next year i will certainly have a test drive of the XE, always liked the XF but a tad too big for me

·
Registered
170 Posts
The interior is better than in an BMW 3 or Audi A4 (both dull and messy) but visually less interesting than the new Merc C class (although that edges a bit towards too much bling!). They have gone a bit conservative but if they want to really break into volume sales perhaps that's the correct decision. I would certainly be happy to drive one around. Jaguar are making big claims for its driving dynamics so it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Anyway, it's fundamentally a good looking and high tech car. If Alfa want volume sales out of the Giulia their job has been made more difficult.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I haven't seen Giulia, but even still, don't think it will match the Giulia on looks. Don't get me wrong: I think the XF is a beautiful car, and it's only the existence of the Ghibli that would sway me from one if I needed something that big and had that much to spend, but this model just really isn't anything special when compared to the competition. Even mainstream cars like the Mazda 6 look more interesting, and a Jaguar shouldn't ever look like an "ordinary" car.

The sad thing is that I think Jaguar has to do this: despite good showings abroad, the fact remains that they will sell the bulk of their production in the UK, but in this part of the market, that means selling a car that appeals to private buyers, but rather to leasing companies and company car fleet managers who view cars as commodities. In this environment, being the "least objectionable car" makes you the winner.

Maybe it's a great drive, and maybe it has built in Apple iThings (or whatever impresses people in the golf club these days), but if I had one of these, I wouldn't look back at it very often after I'd parked it.

If I had an XF, I'd have a sore neck.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,493 Posts
It looks very much like the XF, but nothing wrong with that, BMW and Audi all look the same, small medium and large. It will add some variety to our M ways as it will surely divert sales from the German manufactures. That is unless they dump even cheaper cars into the market via guaranteed future values to steel sales.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
With the Giulia still a long way off :rolleyes:and planning to change the Lexus next year i will certainly have a test drive of the XE, always liked the XF but a tad too big for me
I'm just about there myself. This might have tempted me if it was available in a month or two. It does look better at the front than the back and internally.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Realistically, the earliest timeframe for Giulia in the UK is Winter 2015. If your current car won't last you another year and a half, you'll need to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,527 Posts
Comments on the launch, not the car (Obviously I haven't driven it)

Lost count of how many times exhilarating was used. Closely followed - unsurprisingly - by 'amazing'; about six times during the Kaiser Chief's interview.

Oh, God she's said amazing again. First it was an amazing car (seven times), now Jaguar is an amazing brand. What does that word mean? What does it tell you? How does an amazing Jaguar differ from an amazing BMW in general 'amazement-ness'?

John Hannah - described the night as 'amazing'.

Small kid describing E-Type: 'it's so amazing'.

NOOOO, he only went and said it again!

It is difficult to sound credible (or interesting) when the only word you keep using is amazing.

I watched the video for 38 mins; I think i'll stop now.

I do, however, wish Jaguar much success with the XE. :thumbs:

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
There is more on Autocar...

Jaguar XE revealed ahead of 2015 launch | Autocar

For such a groundbreaking car the 2.0d (which will be the big seller) is 161BHP which isnt exactly scintillating... It needs to be extremely light to stand out
These are their band new engines so I reckon the first set will not
have pant wetting outputs.

Give them a couple of years.

They'll probably be putting them in future Evoques and Disco Sports.

·
Registered
36,666 Posts
Comments on the launch, not the car (Obviously I haven't driven it)

Lost count of how many times exhilarating was used. Closely followed - unsurprisingly - by 'amazing'; about six times during the Kaiser Chief's interview.

Oh, God she's said amazing again. First it was an amazing car (seven times), now Jaguar is an amazing brand. What does that word mean? What does it tell you? How does an amazing Jaguar differ from an amazing BMW in general 'amazement-ness'?

John Hannah - described the night as 'amazing'.

Small kid describing E-Type: 'it's so amazing'.

NOOOO, he only went and said it again!

It is difficult to sound credible (or interesting) when the only word you keep using is amazing.

I watched the video for 38 mins; I think i'll stop now.

I do, however, wish Jaguar much success with the XE. :thumbs:

Awesome!

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Is it just me who doesnt think it looks all that, the front looks nice enough but if you cover the front (on a pciture) with your hand the rest just looks like a vectra

·
Registered
36,666 Posts
A Vectra doesn't have the wheels is such a dynamic stance; short front overhang. The Jaguar at least has the cabin-back attitude from a rear wheel drive car . A BMW 3 series to be exact.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts