Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A trivial rant but still a rant....

The XF is not a coupe, it is a 4 door saloon, so why do Jaguar insist on calling it a coupe

Wikipedia said:
Coupés are often hard topped sports cars or sporty variants of sedan (saloon) body styles, with doors commonly reduced from 4 to 2, and a close-coupled interior (i.e., the rear seat placed further forward than in a standard sedan) offering either two seats or 2+2 seating (space for two passengers in the front and two occasional passengers or children in the rear)
Now i know that the RX8 is a 4 door car, that does have the silhouette of a coupe, but the Passat CC and Merc CLS are both 4 door saloons that have been branded as 'coupes'

right.....got that off my chest....and breath out :D

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
You weren't around here during the "156 four-door coupe" phase, were you? ;) Trust me Alfa owners have been guilty of this little delusion for a long, long time.
--Toronto

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You weren't around here during the "156 four-door coupe" phase, were you? ;) Trust me Alfa owners have been guilty of this little delusion for a long, long time.
--Toronto
Was the 156 advertised as such? i wasn't aware of it.....

Not in its defence but the lack of rear door handles does give the illusion that it is a 2 door.

·
Administrator
46,864 Posts
Because the cache and culture they want to tag on to is that of a coupe, not that of a saloon.

If you want to argue what is and isn't a coupe, you could say that the Hyundai Coupe - which is called a coupe - is actually a hatchback.

There are tons of cars out there which claim the coupe moniker when they don't strictly comply with the description - simply because it's one which sounds exciting.

The design of the 156 is specifically ... designed (Austin Powers moment there!) ... to make it as Coupe like as possible (not just the rear door handles. The black B-pillar too) - but I couldn't tell you whether they described it as one in advertising.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
French theft of an Engilsh descriptive word them' snidey sneaks innit? Couped, as in couped up in the rear bent double.:D

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
long bonnet
sloping back roof
power
hatch boot

yep its a 4 door coupé

·
Administrator
46,864 Posts
long bonnet
sloping back roof
power
hatch boot

yep its a 4 door coupé
But a Coupe shouldn't have a hatch boot - it should have a separate one. If we're being strict. If it's got a hatchback, then it's a ... hatchback. How many buyers would that description cost them? :lol:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I might just try one and buy one for curiosities sake. On the other hand I might just not. Really confusing knowing what to spend money on nowadays.:(:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The XF is a 4 door saloon with a coupe (ish) shape to the body. I don't care because it's such a beautiful car :D
My problem with it is the advert states its a 4 door Coupe, this cannot be as Coupes are by definition 2 door

So that means that it is of the same Genre as the Passat CC and Merc CLS.....Saloons.....

Beauty is on the eye of the beholder.....me, i think it is gopping, looks like a mondeo from the rear and bug eyed and toothy mouthed from the front....

So IYO what are these then

BMW M3
Brera
GTV (916)
Puma

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
My problem with it is the advert states its a 4 door Coupe, this cannot be as Coupes are by definition 2 door

So that means that it is of the same Genre as the Passat CC and Merc CLS.....Saloons.....

Beauty is on the eye of the beholder.....me, i think it is gopping, looks like a mondeo from the rear and bug eyed and toothy mouthed from the front....

So IYO what are these then

BMW M3
Brera
GTV (916)
Puma

I like the M3,
I love the Brera
I think the GTV is very pretty
Don't like the Puma, but that maybe because it's Ford and I have an irrational hatred of Ford :eek:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Origin is from French carriages: "carrosse coupé" meaning
anything with cut down style body work and room for two passengers.
(Driver sits on outside.)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would have one, its a very nice car, coupe or not :cheese:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think Coupe is french for cut off? Jags got the slopy (cut off) roof line,

Before my driving days but there was an old Rover P5? 4 door coupe which was the same as the 4 door saloon but with a sloped back window, so there nowt new:)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I think Coupe is french for cut off? Jags got the slopy (cut off) roof line,

Before my driving days but there was an old Rover P5? 4 door coupe which was the same as the 4 door saloon but with a sloped back window, so there nowt new:)
Wow. Bizarre. As I was reading this thread I was preparing to comment on the P5 Coupe, as chosen by PM Thatcher. Great minds . . . . .

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that Jaguar have only just started using the coupe moniker in their adverts. I suspect that it's a response to all the other car makes who are making what they describe as 4-door coupes. As if to say "We've had a 4-door coupe all along so ner!"

Whatever, when the XF drops into my price range I'm having one.

As for the boot/hatch thing.

Mantas, Monzas, Capris, MGBs, Scirroccos and Porsche 924/944s all had tailgates but I'd say they were all coupes. The Marina Coupe didn't. But then British Leyland were the masters of missing a trick and made lots of cars where the general shape made making it a hatch the really obvious thing to do.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I know that this isn't scientifically or grammatically correct - but I always think of coupes as the small end of the range, and the bigger cars of the same ilk as "GT"s

So to me, a BMW M3 is absolutely a coupe, whereas (say) a DB9 would be a GT even though it is a true 2+2

The ultimate example being the Bentley Continental GT. That's a 2 door, 2+2 non-hatch but would NEVER be described as a coupe (would it?)

Currently Audi describe their A5 as a coupe. To me its a GT. They also have just added a 4 door model (well, 5 doors actually) and called it a "Sportback" which actually isn't a bad name for a hatchback with sporting pretensions.

So..... here's the FredDibnah rule:

2 doors, small rear seats, smaller than a 156 and chuckable into a corner = Coupe
2 doors, small rear seats, larger than a 156 and a little sedate = GT

Anything with 4 doors is a saloon. I flirted with an XF just before Xmas at my local Jag dealer and never once did he describe it as a coupe.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Sounds like good reasoning there FD. :): Anyway, big two door machines regardless of having a fluffy title often end up with door drop,.... period! :lol: Sensible that Bentleys second used 4 Innit'?: :D Cats forever.:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts