Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay . . . so I need to change the brakes on my GTV, so I need to jack it up and put it on Jack stands.
I can't get a trolly jack under it because of the Autodelta kit thats on it, and the fact its lowered.

So a few questions:

If I can get the car up using the normal jacking points and the scissor jack that came with the car, wheres the best place to put the jack stands?

Is there a way of lifting the car to get a trolly jack under it, and if so what points would I lift it using the trolly jack - so I can still lower it down onto the jack stands at the jack points.

Pics and video would REALLY help !

Rick

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
For the axle stands, look at the car's floor approximately under the driver's pedals You'll see a round lump approximately 50mm in diameter and 30mm proud of the floor. You can use those with the axle stands.

DON'T be tempted to put axle stands under the plates that run from the crossmember to the car's floor. They're not strong enough.

For the rear, if your trolley jack is high lift and has a flat plate ( I wouldn't do this if it has a castellated cup ), you can lift the entire rear by lifting at the centre of the rear transverse subframe bar. Look under the car from the rear and you'll see a square bar of aluminium running across the car.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I thought it wasn't recommended to lift it using the Ali subframe
I thought that too until I saw it done during an MOT. I asked the MOT guy about it and he said it's a VOSA specified jacking point.

EDIT : Very useful too. I can drive the car up my ramps and then lift the entire rear on the high lift jack ( + stands of course ) and the whole car is lifted about 250mm off the ground. Still not as much room as I'd like but just about OK for working on the exhaust etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts