Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice to a handling problem I've just noticed.

Basically, my car has started tramlining and if feels like it's weaving slightly. It certainly didn't do this before, but just before Christmas I hit a massive pothole so I'm wondering if this has knocked out my tracking and the power steering is reacting to this making the car seem to weave slightly.

Has anyone noticed a similar problem? Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Doogs

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Check your tyre pressures. Put them back to OE levels. I had a similar issue when I picked mine up because the dealer I purchased the car from had pumped each tyre up to 48 !!!! I know how sensitive some cars can be to tyre pressure handling wise so I would check there first.

Then check the rim itself and finally geometry..

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I would certainly have an investigation promptly because if the tracking is substantially out it will rip through the inside edges of your tyres very quickly.
The usual checks on tyre pressures and condition should be made and check that the wheel itself hasn't buckled - often it is the inside edge of the rim that gets damaged. If you know the pothole location you might want to take a few photographs and open a claim with the Council - always worth a try.
Good luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for you advice gents. I'll check the tyre pressures to see how they are, and check the rim for damage. If this seems all ok is it best to get the tracking done?
The only thing that's changed since it was handling properly was hitting this pothole on my way home from work the last day before Christmas. Over the Christmas period I didn't drive it any distance at all so I only noticed it on Thursday last week when doing my commute.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Thanks for you advice gents. I'll check the tyre pressures to see how they are, and check the rim for damage. If this seems all ok is it best to get the tracking done?
The only thing that's changed since it was handling properly was hitting this pothole on my way home from work the last day before Christmas. Over the Christmas period I didn't drive it any distance at all so I only noticed it on Thursday last week when doing my commute.
Never hurts to check ............ but also, after hitting a pothole, you might find you are over-sensitive to the degree of tramlining that was really there before. If you go looking for a problem you will surely find it, so review the handling carefully before going for tracking.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Do you actually mean ' tram lining ' or does the car wander anyway when on smooth tarmac and not touching white lines etc without moving the steering wheel ???
If yes , then it's likely that the castor is badly out . Wandering at speed without steering input is almost always due to castor settings . I had this problem on my track car years ago after a front suspension modification . Finally after talking to another racer , I adjusted castor in the plus direction 3 times before totally clearing all symptoms ---- a lesson learned.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The handling was something I'd noticed, then thought what could have caused that. That's when I remembered hitting the pothole 2 weeks earlier. The car was wandering a bit when normally it felt solid on the road and the back felt loose. I don't know a lot (much at all) about cars but I know when they aren't running right and can feel the slightest variations in performance. I took it in for wheel alignment this morning, the guy did a few adjustments to rear camber, front caster, camber and toe. I said is this going to be noticeable? He smiled and said, just a bit!

I'll see what it's like driving home tonight, hopefully it's all sorted now as it was ruining my enjoyment of driving the car (and my tyres!).

Thanks for your feedback and advice, I'll post my findings tomorrow after a proper test drive (40miles home).

cheers guys:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts