Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just asked the host to put in another CPU and another stick of 1gb memory on our dedicated server, I am getting fed up of the slowness, therefore our members must be, the site is useless like this, all I can do is apologise and hope this fixes it. :cry: :cry: :cry: :confused: :confused:

Ian

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Funny that it is slower more recently than my recollection of its performance with the same number of users a few months ago?

We are a loyal lot so will be pretty patient I am sure :)

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
TBH Ian, I hadn't noticed.

Sometimes, that's the benefit of not using a mega-fast uptodate computer. You don't notice when other things are running slower than normal!:D

Someday I'll upgrade my beloved Mac so thanks anyway in advance.

·
Premium Member
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trailbraker said:
Funny that it is slower more recently than my recollection of its performance with the same number of users a few months ago?

We are a loyal lot so will be pretty patient I am sure :)
Hi Trailbraker, we have never had this many visitors or members, the server hasnt grown with the board, hopefully they wil put this in tomorrow? (If in stock, however they should be incase one broke)

Ian

·
Premium Member
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probusterrace said:
TBH Ian, I hadn't noticed.

Sometimes, that's the benefit of not using a mega-fast uptodate computer. You don't notice when other things are running slower than normal!:D

Someday I'll upgrade my beloved Mac so thanks anyway in advance.
briliant idea, could you all downgrade as this fixes the problem... :eek: :wow: :cheese:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Is that why I keep crashing out after a long-ish pause tonight? (Sorry -I'm a computer know-nowt).

Quite frustrating as, for a change recently I have an hour or so to browse and the crappy broadband service is working too (also unusually of late) - at least on Top Gear's site and Alfaholics so it must be AO? Not that I'm having a "pop" - these things do happen, unfortunately, we just have to trust the team to sort it out.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Ian, we're all behind you mate, got to take my hat of to you for keeping it all together.

Sometimes its slow, but I've noticed it timing out more than being slow of late!

·
Administrator
60,449 Posts
Hi Ian, it is slow lately, thanks for looking into it:) Frustrating to be kicked off all the time. I keep refreshing and repairing. My hubby has rebooted my laptop to see if that was the problem, wasn't though. Hope it's not to hard to fix:)

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
.... and there was I checking all the phone connections... using my 'old' PC.... running speed checks..... I even blew all the dust out of the fan filter :eek:

*yes dear.... I'll dust the room in a minute.... sorry*

Thanks for your efforts Mr AO :cool:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'm tired and read the title wrong, I thought BigFoot was moaning the board was slow, i.e. not enough people posting :lol:

Thanks for the upgrade :)

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
alfaowner said:
As an admin Phil, the buck rest with me, thanks though

Is it that the board is slow and the site crap?

Or is it that the site is a huge success and people are posting more and using the site more as members and guests.....

The fact the site has grown so big is testament to how well the site has been run by all the admin and mods….

Thank you guys :D :D

Chris

·
Registered
913 Posts
'm a little confused here. although i use dial-up to access the site for me the site is actually running quicker than ever over the pst month or so. checking the line speed it is always between 48k and 50k so there isn't much of a difference there. probably compared to everyone else though my whole tin-ternet is slow.......

so whatever you think Ian it works well here!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Ian,

Thanks - it has been a bit slow - although I've put that down to our lad hogging the internet pipe ..

On a more serious note I hope they take a backup before doing the upgrade -I've seen funny things happen especially with these little "tweaks", and with all the posting being done - we'd hate to loose it - not forgetting all the work you've put in recently.....

I'm still amazed that this is a totally free forum and how you manage to fund it yourself - most other motoring forums at least run on donations, but more are membership based, especially as the costs are increasing as we get larger.

I hope you are getting some refferal income as you put these AO discount deals together (such as the car insurance one) - I'm sure nobody would begrudge you anything you can get!

SImes.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Yeah, I haven't noticed so much that its slow; more the constant 'cut-outs' meaning that you end up clicking the 'Submit' button a couple of times and then double posting.

Does your post count good though :D :D :D

1 - 20 of 116 Posts