Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good guide on how to weld at home? Have decided I'm going to buy an old Alfa and sort the corrosion out. Bad idea?

I'm a complete beginner but very competent with my hands (a surgeon). I've seen migs on eBay for 150 ish, what else do I need?

·
Premium Member
77,413 Posts
I'm no expert, but some big sunglasses and the thickest Marigolds you can find. If you can't find your specs, then probably looking away as you ignite the thing will be ok - just try and remember which bit is metal, which bit is the weldy bit, and which bit is you. Sorted.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
You need a gasless MIG welder with a 0.9mm tip.. some 0.8mm wire ... some steel sheet... some tin snips... some big gloves... a welding helmet with auto-darkening visor... card and pens to make the templates... a little hammer and a pair of pliers.... a grinder... and looooooooooads of patience and time.

The welding part takes 5 minutes.. the prep' about 5 hours.

Ralf S.

G

·
I would say two things, Dolmeo.

1. Don't weld when you are under the influence of ale.

2. Don't operate on live human beings when you are under the influence of ale. (But cadavers would probably be OK).

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,014 Posts
Like Ralf says, its a lot about preparation, pay special attention to what is behind what you are welding. You cant weld onto underseal, plastic or rust. Cut out any rust, grind back any surface rust and treat with an inhibitor, remove any trim or sound deadening, try welding onto that and you can quickly turn your car into bonfire.

Here are a couple of preparation and after welding photos of my Mk4 Sprite.

The best way to go about restoring any car is to strip the bodyshell bare, you can see what you are doing and you can be sure of removing all the rot.

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've looked at some clips and decided it looks like a lot of work. And I need a proper workshop, which I don't have. And I'm sober and don't want to spend hundreds buying kit.

Thanks for the advice though!

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,014 Posts
I'm hoping l'll sober up one day!:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts