Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an Alfa Owner again!!! Yeeeeeeeeah!!!
I am very happy too!!

Went to look at some cars yesterday and found this 146 TI in a fine dark blue in good condition

It was a bit head vs heart as this car has a 2L engine and the alternative was a cheap to run, reliable old 406 but you know, the heart is always right

Took my girlfriend to pick it up with me and let her drive home. When we got home she was like "I like that car, it sounds good and it makes you wanna put your foot down"

She just came up with an "excuse" to go out and drive the alfa "I'm nipping to my brother... but I think I'm going via the motorway" she said, hehe.

my initial feedback...

+
still looks great, especially in dark blue
great engine, it goes reeeeally fast
great brakes, it justs stops you there and then
80,000miles (not that bad, I think)

-
it's a bit aged and there are some loose plastics
airbag light is always on
I think that in a couple of days I'll add fuel consumption to this

Alfa's been part of the family for a while now. I had a 146 Jr about 11 yrs ago in the same colour (it was a 1.4 though - yes, a 1.4 102cv as that's the version they were selling in Portugal). Dad has some alfas too, from a green 33 to a black 156 w/ tanned leather seats.

I'll upload some pics soon

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Good boy. :thumbs:

Change the cam belt and tensioner though.. I seen plenty of "I bought a new Alfa a few days ago... ragged it... engine blew up" posts.

Your beast may or may not have been too pampered by the sound of it.. and the cambelt always seems to be the first thing which is changed "on the cheap" (i.e tensioner isn't always changed). Tensioner is "the weakest link" in the T/S engine.

Also keep a fanatical eye on the oil level. T/S likes a pint and you'll only see the oil light come on when it's probably too late. Check the oil every weekend and keep the level on MAX. Eventually you'll learn what the consumption is like and get into a routine to top it up. Always keep it topped up.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here's a couple of pics of my 146

It looks good :p and it goes fast!!!

I'll work out the mpg this week but I'm not expecting anything decent :)

it also needs to get some small things sorted (2-3 loose covers here and there and a fog bulb)
the exhaust is a powerflow one and although, a friend told me it was a good one, I think it pushes the beautiful engine sound a tad too much. I might consider changing it in the future...

Anyway, I really like my alfa :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm...

cam belt was changed only 4000 miles ago but will have a look

Good boy. :thumbs:

Change the cam belt and tensioner though.. I seen plenty of "I bought a new Alfa a few days ago... ragged it... engine blew up" posts.

Your beast may or may not have been too pampered by the sound of it.. and the cambelt always seems to be the first thing which is changed "on the cheap" (i.e tensioner isn't always changed). Tensioner is "the weakest link" in the T/S engine.

Also keep a fanatical eye on the oil level. T/S likes a pint and you'll only see the oil light come on when it's probably too late. Check the oil every weekend and keep the level on MAX. Eventually you'll learn what the consumption is like and get into a routine to top it up. Always keep it topped up.

Ralf S.

D

·
0 Posts
1.4's are great:D Glad you are back and ffound a nice one the 146 is a very under rated car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts