Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to a master locksmith (he was sorting out the dodgy remote on my Land Rover) and I asked him about the worn-out locks on my Alfetta: the ignition lock took a lot of 'jiggling' to make the key turn and the door and boot locks were heading the same way. Perhaps not surprising on a 40 year-old car, but finding a full set of locks in good condition isn't easy and a new ignition lock is £130 and a bit of a pig to change.

The locksmith told me that most dodgy car locks are caused by poor lubrication: people either neglect the locks completely or spray liquid lubricants (WD40, silicone spray, etc) into them which ultimately attracts more dirt and grit.

He told me to use a little powdered graphite so I bought a squeezy bottle of it for under a fiver, put a bit in each lock and worked it in with the key.

Result? My locks are all now working perfectly! They seem to be getting smoother still, as the graphite works its way further into the mechanism. So if you're similarly troubled by dodgy locks, try a bit of powdered graphite before you do anything more serious, expensive or time-consuming.

Maybe everyone (except me) knew that trick already, but I thought I'd post this just in case it's ever helpful to someone...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Nice one Rob, we used to use graphite on the padlocks at work but never thought about it on car locks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts