Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a 155brake turbo petrol.

I've got a 2001 147TS 120brake, I've always been skeptical about the Mito's steering and suspension setup which is much less sophistacated than that of the 147. And when you drive it, if you're a true "alfista", you can feel the difference.

For me, the Mito is a car suited to people who don't know the difference between a real alfa and a cheap entry level version derived from the Punto. Sure, it looks cute, drives relatively well, but the steering has no feel to it and the lack of an independent rear suspension shows up on rough roads. Performance was also disappointing considering the bhp.

Best wait for the 149....even the dealer told me so!!!

Other let downs were some cheap and nasty interior finishes, the top of the steering column has a flexible piece of material, the internal door handles are just painted plastic and not steel, the Bose is simplified version compared to the 147, and it's Punto origins are obvious in many details (like the column stalks).

This is another good marketing exercise by Fiat....but a true Alfa? I think NOT!!!:tut:

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
The MiTo is going to be down market from a 147.........at the same time, I have always prefered the 'drive' of a 147 over a 156 even though they should be "comparable'
The donor car, the GPunto is nothing special if you come from a 147 so Making a GPunto Chassis into a "Silk' purse was always going to be a hard "ask"

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have also driven the 155hp version of the MiTo and I like the car...in terms of handling as well...

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Oh dear does't sound very promising! Bit of material on the top of steering wheel...yuck! The interious in all Alfas are great and my GTA interior is such a nice place to be rather than bland scratchy interious in say something like a mondeo. TBH I dont really like the lok of the Mito go for a 149

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
What's it got at the rear end then? Torsional cross beam with trailing arms? The multi- transverse link, system on the 147, plus it's front stiffer suspension setup und zoweiter, make it a great machine for roadholding imo. Is the Mito less competent in the 'glued to the road' stakes then?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I'm sorry but you can't really compare a MiTo to a 147, as is mentioned they are different classes of cars, just like comparing a Polo to a Golf, a Fiesta to a Focus, etc

There was always going to be some carry-over content from a Punto and why not, from what I've heard the Grande Punto is a very good and capable small car and I don't personally think carrying over things like indicator stalks brings a car down ... I think Astons used to have (might still have) Ford/Jaguar ones !

If you want to compare the MiTo to something it must be compared to another 'lifestyle' small car for example ... the Mini or even it's own stable mate the new 500, surely these are the target?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I've not read a bad review. Even Autocrap gave it 3 stars:wow:

The material is common to all Alfa's with extendable / adjustable steering columns:confused:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so maybe I've been a bit harsh with my impressions!! This is probably due to the amount of time I've been waiting for the new 149 that isn't due till late 2009!!!

I'm sure that the Mito will be a commercial success, the lads at Fiat have learnt the trick of putting together cars with appeal (look at the 500...). However, the appeal they build in lies especially on the aesthetical side and less so on the mechanical one. My criticism lies in the fact that maybe something more could have been done to make it feel like an Alfa. Also, to compare the Mito with a Mini (that they are targeting it at) - the latter is a much better engineered car, the Mito wins only on price.

N

·
0 Posts
It was a 155brake turbo petrol.

I've got a 2001 147TS 120brake, I've always been skeptical about the Mito's steering and suspension setup which is much less sophistacated than that of the 147. And when you drive it, if you're a true "alfista", you can feel the difference.
Yeah but they want to sell more cars to women so
I bet the MiTo doesn't manoeuvre like a car 4 times
it's size in car parks. :)

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
I have waited so long for a new Alfa that is not too big..the 159 , nor rather unappealing, the current revised 147 or with too tight seats, the GT ..that I now have a Volvo C30 2.4i whilst retaining my original 2002 147 2.0 TS :cheese:

If the Mito GTA or a decent 149 doesn't turn up soon, many of us will have died of old age :eek:

·
Registered
640 Posts
The donor car, the GPunto is nothing special if you come from a 147 so Making a GPunto Chassis into a "Silk' purse was always going to be a hard "ask"
There's nothing wrong with the Punto chassis, they're a great handling little car.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The Punto is indeed a very good base car. You all need to remember that the 156, GT & 147 are based on the Fiat Tipo.

·
Registered
297 Posts
... Also, to compare the Mito with a Mini (that they are targeting it at) - the latter is a much better engineered car, the Mito wins only on price.
And style - while the Mini's exterior is nice, it's interior sucks monkeyballs. Whatever (imho perfectly valid) critic you may have on the MiTo's interior - the Mini (again - imho) looks like a fisher-price toy I could give to a 3y-old... Might be well-made, but not smth I like to spend my time in.

And engines. The normal 120bhp 1.6 petrol mini cooper is on the same price-level as the MiTo 155bhp. The Cooper S with a bit more power (and a bit heavier) is well above that - not to mention the John Cooper Works - which will be MiTo GTA material. I rly don't understand why you say you were disappointed by the performance, the 155bhp petrol is (and felt) WAY quicker than my remapped 147 1.9JTDm 8v (+-150bhp now) - which is pretty normal if you look at the weight difference. I haven't driven the 1.6JTDm yet, but I read some promising reviews.

I was also pretty surprised and had mixed feelings when I saw the rear suspension (C-Shaped torsion-beam) up-close in the Turin factory, but that was after my driving experience with it. It sure did look disappointing, cheap and non-sporty, but not having seen that, I didn't notice that at all on the test-track. On rough roads I can't tell, and it could be a different story, but my impression was very positive. While rear-suspension looks cheap and has obvious (theoretical) drawbacks, there are other factors that could make up for it, the stiffness of the torsion-beam and the way it's attached to the chassis combined with shock absorbers could give the wheels just enough independant limited travel. Most reviews of the Abarths have been positive regarding road-handling and they use the same suspension...
I drove a MiTo immediately after a Mini Cooper (same price-level, quite a difference in performance) and the MiTo sure felt a lot better in corners, and I also doubt a 147 would be able to keep up. I wish I could have driven a 147 the same day too, but that wasn't possible :(

I really love my 147, but as a "driver's" car - whatever exterior, interior look/finish and suspension issues you may have with it - for me, I think the MiTo wins - so I'll think I'll buy one (but I'll wait for the 149 first) And I don't like rough roads :p

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys, I seem to have stirred up many people's views with my opinions on the Mito!!!

The version I tested was probably a pre-production model, I've heard that the cheap plastic material trim on top of the instrument binnacle has already been replaced with something smarter on current production versions.

Regarding the rear end, trust me, on rough roads you do notice the handling differences compared to cars with independent rear suspensions - and Italy is full of rough roads, forget about smooth tracks!!!

Performance wise, even though I redlined a version with only 300kms on the clock, I still failed to believe it had 155horses....but maybe it still needed running in? Also the DNA selector wasn't working.....

But I tell you one thing I did like - the pillarless doors that drop the window an inch when you open them. Just like a Brera!!!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
msmangosi don't worry about offending, your opinion is appreciated by all I'm sure. I'd like to take the Mito for a spin to see what it feels like, but I'd have to get over its Micra looks first.

A

·
0 Posts
small cars with style and flair are the future in prestige motoring due to rising petrol prices and environment concerns....
alfa is on track with the mito. :thumbs:
i bought the 159 because this is all alfa had to offer in new technology.
the 147 and gt are a tad on the old side.
i will be buying the mito gta cause i really do love hot hatches.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
In my opinion the MiTo is way better car then its main rival the Mini....

KoFFie knows what I am talking about...if he has been at the "track day" at Balloco for Alfa dealers.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
The MitTo has fancy, and pretty unique contractive (dual spring per corner) suspension.
This gives it very good high speed flat cornering without knackering ride quality apparently.
Associated with each damper is one spring for bump, and one spring for rebound - this wasn't a cheap option for Alfa to develop but rather a fairly innovative one I would say.

The 155bhp version should be 50% quicker than a 1.6 t-spark, so I'm , and several times more accelerative at higher speeds.
Its definitely a cracker of an engine in the new Bravo.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I got a bit bored today, so did a little channel 'hopping' on the sat, homed in on Motori TV,Hotbird, 11200V,27500Ksps, nice piece of 'Tottie' with some guy,and at one point they pulled a bright red cover off a bright red MiTo, and it did look a bit like a sweet little 'cartoonie' character as it's eyes 'popped out' as it was gently unveiled.:):

I reckon that's what it's about. Sort of 'Pet' appeal, mainly for the gals, so I reckon it will be popular?:):

1 - 20 of 31 Posts