Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've broke it!! no brakes

Driving home from town this afternoon and the pedal goes to the floor!!

Master cylinder is empty!!!

Checked all the lines and one of the rears is weeping so took it off cleaned and refitted!!!

Filled the mc with fluid tried to bleed it thru and had no pedal at all!!!

Got a bit of air out of the nipples but still no pedal feel!

Have pumped 2 litres of fluid thru and still no pedal, spoke to a mechanic friend who said to open the unions at ABS pump and master cylinder and try and get any air from there.

Have got some out of the unions and now have a firm pedal when the engine is off and a better pedal when running but there is still alot of travel.

Want to bleed the mc properly but how do you get to slacken off the rearmost banjo bolt?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any one??

Have rebled this morning and got a bit more air out of the mc, haven taken it for a drive the brakes now work and stop the car from 70 but the peddle is really long!!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
You could try to pressure bleeding it?
yeah i was going to say that.....not had a problem with brakes or clutch on alfas like this but i do know when lads clutch cylinder went of his corsa i had to get a pressure bleed kit to get it working again..............think they are about £20 ish?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hello Swampy,
Rotten luck, but at least you and the Alfa are intacta; I recall a post in which ( I think) someone suggested bleeding under pressure and cycling the abs valves at the same time, using fiat ECU multiscan. Also I think the main stealers use a system that both injects and sucks out (ooooeerrr!) the fluid. This might explain why DIY bleeding is such a pita?

Hope that helps
Cheerio
The Captain :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have managed to get it tiny old mans, he has some fancy bleed kit that forces the fluid in via gravity and sucks it out at the same time.

So first i have just used my halfords trade card and purchased 5 liter of fluid!!!

Will get this sorted today!!

Still can't see how to get on to the rear master cylinder outlet to try and bleed it from there!!!

G

·
0 Posts
If your you're using a pressure bleed you may not have to get to the banjo try it normally and see how it goes!

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All sorted

Used a pressure bleed on the master cylinder and a suction pump on the nipples!!

Pedal is now rock solid with plenty of bite

Now on to the next problem
How the hell do you get to oil filter!
And how do you get a mullerd sump bolt out?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hello Swampy

Best access is from underneath; can easily get at oil filter with a remover from there, the sump plug is quite deep... If its rounded off, then you could drill it ( not all the way thro..!!!), tap it, screw in a bit of threaded bar, add two nuts, lock em off, and should unscrew ok...used to use similar trick to remove head studs etc

Hope that helps
Cheerio
The Captain:thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts