Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

My 155 2.0 16 V has been in an accident and supposedly repaired(front suspension).3 days later I heard that terrible noise and couldn't put it into gear any more-as soon as i do i hear that grinding and clattering noise an d the car won't move!Clutch or gearbox?Any suggestions?Where do i find a gearbox and whats the difference between USED and RECONDITIONED?What to expect in labour costs?
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ivanov, make sure that the driveshafts/CV joints are intact.
If they've been removed for suspension repair, they might either be damaged/overlooked.
Is the gearlever actually selecting gear position?

Later.............

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A recon box will be like new. A used box will have just been taken from a car and sold whatever.
I just replaced the box in the V6 with a used box and it isn't as smooth as the box I took out (the whole box/diff/bellhousing assembly was replaced as the bellhousing cracked from a malfitted diff after it was all reconditioned by the previous owner 18months ago...it's a long story).

the labour for my change was about £300 (7 hours), but that included other things too.

I would say the car wasn't repaired properly. BTW, I'm sure you can get a good box cheaper through peeps on this site.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Norro said:
Ivanov, make sure that the driveshafts/CV joints are intact.
If they've been removed for suspension repair, they might either be damaged/overlooked.
Is the gearlever actually selecting gear position?

Later.............
Thanks,mate.
And-Yes-the gear lever is selecting gear position-no problem.i just don't wanna be stitched up by another car garage by telling me it's the gear box if it's not!I'm so fed up by dodgy mechanics!
Thanks a LOT,MATE-MUCH APPRECIATED!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ivanov155 said:
Thanks,mate.
And-Yes-the gear lever is selecting gear position-no problem.i just don't wanna be stitched up by another car garage by telling me it's the gear box if it's not!I'm so fed up by dodgy mechanics!
Thanks a LOT,MATE-MUCH APPRECIATED!
i had the same thing happen to mine after an accident the dif in the gearbox broke 4 days later :mad:

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sORRY TO HEAR THAT!AND WHAT DID YOU DO?dID YOU GET IT DONE OR WASN'T WORTH IT?CHEERS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts