Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So I have nearly finished converting my library of 5000 songs to MP3 so I can listen to then in the car.

However my library has doubled!!!! Is there an easy way of deleting the duplicate tracks without doing it one by one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Go to Library in iTunes and make sure it's showing all your songs. Then, sort by Kind, which is the format of your music (MP3, AAC etc). You might have to right click on the column headings to add the Kind column if it's not already there.

Once you've done that, just select all the ones you want to delete (click the first, hold down shift and click the last) and then delete them.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go to Library in iTunes and make sure it's showing all your songs. Then, sort by Kind, which is the format of your music (MP3, AAC etc). You might have to right click on the column headings to add the Kind column if it's not already there.

Once you've done that, just select all the ones you want to delete (click the first, hold down shift and click the last) and then delete them.
Thank you. It was so simple to do as well. It is really appreciated. Thanks
Stephen

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Easy in unix. ;)

(rm *.m4a or whatever)
Come on Nev what are the chances of Cooper using a Unix based system? :lol:

N

·
0 Posts
Come on Nev what are the chances of Cooper using a Unix based system? :lol:
He seems like an intelligent chap.

Just burn a CD of puppy Linux or such like
and boot from the CD: Hey presto! ;) :lol:

Can you do wildcard deletion from MS-DOS?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Nev, I do consider myself quite intelligent but I only speak English, Mackem and a bit of French and German.

So I don't know what the hell unix is!!!!!

Using Kind in Itunes itself has worked.:)

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
On the back of Cooper's question I'll admit to being even more dense....:rolleyes:

Right, I want to listen to my music in the new Ti. I've bought a usb flash stick that says is compatible also with my home Mac where all my stuff is on iTunes.

Do I have to load it all back from original CD's but save as MP3 or can I just copy it/export as MP3 or what?:confused: iTunes help isn't clear (to me).

The Blue & Me manual conveniently ignores iPod users and I'm too old to keep trawling AO's crappy search engine.

I will keep looking but if you know what a non-tech old frat should do, please let me know and I'll be eternally grateful!:D

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
There is a facility within iTunes Jim to convert your existing downloaded tracks to mp3.

However this will only work on tracks that you have downloaded from CD. Anything you have bought from the iTunes store is protected and can't be converted in that way.

The protected stuff can be converted though by burning to a disc and then downloading again as mp3, or by getting some clever (free) conversion software from the net. There's plenty out there.

Once you're all in mp3 just copy and paste to your flash stick and Bob's your mother's brother!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Thank you Mr-T. :thumbs: It was concise and I understood it! I even expect I can work out how to save and copy from the dropdowns! ;)

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Update & next question in advance:

That seems to be working :thumbs:(cheers) and I just dived and clicked to convert the full library. It seems to be working as a duplicate is appearing under each tune.

Maybe I should have just done a playlist first :rolleyes:

Still, while the job is running on a couple of thousand tunes.....how do I sort the list so I can copy over just the mp3 versions in one go?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I'm too old to keep trawling AO's crappy search engine.

I will keep looking but if you know what a non-tech old frat should do, please let me know and I'll be eternally grateful!:D
Thread read! :p

Thread search.

:p
Double :p ;)

Thank you, it hadn't registered with all that unix wotnot.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
He seems like an intelligent chap.

Just burn a CD of puppy Linux or such like
and boot from the CD: Hey presto! ;) :lol:

Can you do wildcard deletion from MS-DOS?

Del *.mp3 or whatever extention

or Del *.mp3 /s (if you need to have it look in subdirectories)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update & next question in advance:

That seems to be working :thumbs:(cheers) and I just dived and clicked to convert the full library. It seems to be working as a duplicate is appearing under each tune.

Maybe I should have just done a playlist first :rolleyes:

Still, while the job is running on a couple of thousand tunes.....how do I sort the list so I can copy over just the mp3 versions in one go?

Thanks in advance.
Isn't that basically the question I asked?:lol:

D

·
0 Posts
Ditch itunes in favour of MediaMonkey, I found it a lot easier to use and opens up far more functionality, doesn't do strange things to your music collection and give you duplicates.

Just my two-penneth. Anything made by Apple will look nice but work like a Fisher Price toy

·
Registered
202 Posts
On the back of Cooper's question I'll admit to being even more dense....:rolleyes:

Right, I want to listen to my music in the new Ti. I've bought a usb flash stick that says is compatible also with my home Mac where all my stuff is on iTunes.

Do I have to load it all back from original CD's but save as MP3 or can I just copy it/export as MP3 or what?:confused: iTunes help isn't clear (to me).
I've written a small Applescript that you can run, since you're using a Mac, to allow you to export playlists directly from iTunes to a USB stick, converting to MP3 on the fly. I'll send you the details over PM. Note that this won't be able to convert anything that you've downloaded from the Apple Store, but it will be able to convert everything else.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ditch itunes in favour of MediaMonkey, I found it a lot easier to use and opens up far more functionality, doesn't do strange things to your music collection and give you duplicates.

Just my two-penneth. Anything made by Apple will look nice but work like a Fisher Price toy
You are probably right. Its .strange how us Alfa lovers like to be different with our cars but most of us jump on the bandwagon when it comes to Ipods and digital music! Me included!

It must be the shine:lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts