Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the body shop yesterday which had repainted my car recently. I've known the owner for years and we spent a little time talking about paint on various makes of cars, he of course see's them all.

It was interesting, according to him, many cars suffer with paint chipping. Of the makes we discussed. Honda are OK with claims, Chrysler are difficult, but what surprised me was that almost overwhelmingly the German manufactures will not pay for warranty repaints.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
A friend has a grey Golf GTI and is BY FAR the most stone-chipped car I've ever seen (It's a 5 year old car, but so are 2 in our household which aren't in nearly that state)

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I've been lurking in the Ford Kuga forum, and you might be surprised that virtually every complaint we read here about Alfas, you see about the flagship Ford Kuga- bad dealers, warranty claims being denied, shonky electrics, hesitating engines, and worst of all, something we don't get much on Alfas, the alloy wheels quickly chip to buggery - and Ford will only contribute towards replacement wheels, even under main manufacturer warranty! :wow: Shocking behaviour.

Of course, just like Alfa, the percentage of cars with problems is likely to be relatively small, but naturally, people don't post about cars that are working perfectly, only ones that aren't.

One thing the Kuga doesn't have many complaints about is the DPF. I wonder if this is because it was released in 2008 and perhaps has a close-coupled DPF...

·
Registered
13,159 Posts
Aye! I dunno why people think that "Alfa" paint could or should be worse or better than anyone else's. If you look at the paint label, the Alfa paint is made by DuPont or BASF or the other one I can't remember... same as every other European car.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I've been lurking in the Ford Kuga forum, and you might be surprised that virtually every complaint we read here about Alfas, you see about the flagship Ford Kuga- bad dealers, warranty claims being denied, shonky electrics, hesitating engines, and worst of all, something we don't get much on Alfas, the alloy wheels quickly chip to buggery - and Ford will only contribute towards replacement wheels, even under main manufacturer warranty! :wow: Shocking behaviour.

Of course, just like Alfa, the percentage of cars with problems is likely to be relatively small, but naturally, people don't post about cars that are working perfectly, only ones that aren't.

One thing the Kuga doesn't have many complaints about is the DPF. I wonder if this is because it was released in 2008 and perhaps has a close-coupled DPF...
Funny you should mention the Kuga as a colleague in work has one and his alloys are in a terrible state. A new set of alloys is over £800 and Ford will only contribute £300. He is not a happy bunny but has arranged to get his alloys refurbed by way of powder coating for not much over the £300.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts