Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in sunny Alton we have a 20 mph limit in the town centre. There are a number of large speed bumps to encourage drivers to behave, these cover the full width of the road and rise to be level with the pavement. Pedestrians stand by these as if they are zebra crossings and appear to expect drivers to stop and give them priority. Do I stop or do I ignore them?

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Ignore them. They are not zebra crossings.

They can cross when you have passed or stopped to pick up your under tray that’s been ripped off by the stupid, ridiculous, oversized, inappropriate “speed” hump!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I tend to stop at those. Pedestrians always have right of way, apart from motorways where they're not allowed at all, I think. It's a 20mph speed limit anyway, makes little difference. I generally only drive through the town centre by choice, so when I'm not in any hurry. Thinking of where I often see Alfas parked, you have to drive that way home?

But the main issue I see with the speed ramps is that it looks like cars headlamps are being flashed as they bump up them.

I don't like the middle of the road square ones, designed to damage small cars and be totally ignored by the SUVs which just straddle them and don't even need to slow down. And the left hand land islands, thinking of the ones coming downhill past the college, which seem to be designed to kill cyclists.

dom.

·
Registered
Saab 240DL Veloce
20,269 Posts
i'd probably err on the side of caution and courtesy here; even if not legally obliged to stop, i'd probably let them cross. No skin off my nose to do so. Maybe they have had a rubbish day and a small gesture made it a tad better :)

Reactions: TheGrimJeeper

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Here in Scunthorpe we have something similar. A green space footpath/bridlepath traverses the urban area from north to south. Where it crosses the highway there are these large raised speed restrictors. All OK so far. However, in the highway departments's wisdom and not following any logical pattern, some have simple triangular markings to draw the driver's attention to the raised area while others have specific give way markings (The ones that consist of a dashed line and a triangle with the point towards the traffic). This means that the pedestrian/horserider sometimes as the right of way and sometimes does not. This leads to total confusion with some drivers giving way all the time and others pushing on regardless and similarly with the pedestrians some of whom seem to believe they have an absolute right to walk up to the crossing and cross straight over, without a pause, however close a car may be. Sooner or later there is going to be a serious accident especially as the road markings are getting very worn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts