Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
......you get quoted £180 to insure a 3.0 GTV.:D

I can't believe it myself. £180 fully comp with More Than, next cheapest is 215 with E sure. So, come the 15th the old 146 is going in the garage and I'm using the GTV for my 3 mile trip to work and back. I know its criminal to use it in such a way but I'm taking the opportunity while I have it.
Years ago I thought when I turned 25 I'd get cheap car insurance, I've only had to wait another 27 years for it to happen.:thumbs:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Just the age group they are after, 50+.:): Couple of years and mine goes on the ascension so I believe, that's life I guess.:):

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Got a renewal for £357 on the V6...obviously not old enough yet.... :cry:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still wonder if admiral have screwed up, I am insuring my GTA for just over £500 full comp with no claims protection and I am 29. Add to that while my car is UK spec and right hand drive, technically it is a German import.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Cup was nearly £700 that's part of the reason she had to go :cry:

·
Registered
694 Posts
£287, full ncb protected, with legal cover for my Brera :thumbs:
Thats with "More Than".
Getting old has its plus points I guess.
Matt

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Post Office came out tops for us, with a cash-back payment as well. SAGA, were not very competitive at all. Their quotes have not been worth considering, since they were taken over.:(:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I don't get the whole Insurance Game....

Older means slower reaction times
Older does not mean someone won't rearend you
Older does not ensure your pride and joy will be left alone by the vandals
Older won't cause that stone to take evasive action when heading for your windscreen

So why is it the older we get the cheaper the car insurance, even if you knock no-claims out it is still cheaper at 40 than it is at 20.

One of my colleagues at work has just passed his test, he is in his late 50's, I have not asked but i would imagine when it came to insuring his Saab it cost him considerably less than someone in their mid 20's with 10 yrs driving under their belt.

The insurance world is crazy... I give up trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
It's all based on stats. That's why places like Shiela's wheels can do better rates because statistically women have less accidents. However, that doesn't mean they're better drivers, it's because there are more men on the road, so odds are an accident is more likely to involve a man than a woman.

I would love to see stats listed by gender.

So the same goes for old people. There's less of them on the road, they drive less miles so statistically they're less likely to have an accident.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Well we do, in the main become less belligerent with age? Over confidence in ones ability to drive, regardless of age, is not a particularly good thing imo. And premiums start to rise for the over seventies, or so I have been told.

Anyway, we should all perhaps undergo some sort of re-assesment periodically throughout our driving years, to assess our abilities, or lack of them, not just rely on self imposed opinions on the subject?

I'd be open to a competence to drive test now, plus a physical. At least I would be fairly 'clean', bloodstream wise I think?

I did pass the Challenger Mk.II Tank simulator test two years past, at Bovvy, and the instructor said they have quite a few younger recruits who initially fail this?:rolleyes:

Mind you, letting me loose in a Tank again would be very risky, as I'd probably act out a 'Judge Dread' role with some of the 'Brain Out' nutters I see charging around here?:D:lol:

·
Registered
694 Posts
166v6
I would think that there is a curve of age vs risk statistics.
Yes, older, lets say over 65 years maybe & reaction time slows down, visibility drops, etc.
But against that, people of that age maybe aren't in so much of a hurry, not doing so many miles, not so stressed, not image concious & not distracted by texting/smoking/turning the bass up or Doris's doing there make up whilst attempting to drive etc etc.
I'd guess that there is probably a "sweet-spot" age wise, maybe around the mid-40's to maybe 60 where risk is lowest. Under that, there are too many red-bull fuelled show-offs & too many people desperate to get to the next "vital business meeting", & over that, the physical limitations of age start to kick in.
Of course there are always other categories & exceptions (motorbikes are a whole other issue) & its only my opinion, but someone who's say 49, & is no longer trying to convince anyone that s/he is the next Massa, is deservedly a lower risk than the average 25 or 75 year old.
Matt.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its a difficult one thats for sure. What shocked me is a sudden change in the cost to me. For the last few years I've paid around £230 to £250 on the 146. this year on confused.com the cheapest was £135.
Some sort of re assesssment is a good idea. I know one driver in his mid thirties who is a terrible driver and knows it and another almost as bad who is 60 that thinks he's a good driver.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Can't escape the fact : Half of all accidents are caused by under 25s !!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Can't escape the fact : Half of all accidents are caused by under 25s !!
Is that because they are under 25 ... or that under 25yo can only afford cheap cars with cr*p brakes and handling ... thus in the event of an "incident" an accident is more likely ...

What happens with a new M3 when you slam on the brakes? the car takes over and stops itself in about 2metres ... do the same in an entry level fiat punto? very different story ...

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
37 years old, clean license, 5 yrs protected no-claims and i still pay £520 for a 2.0 jts:cry: i got a quote just for comparison at my parents address in wales and it was half that:mad:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is that because they are under 25 ... or that under 25yo can only afford cheap cars with cr*p brakes and handling ... thus in the event of an "incident" an accident is more likely ...

What happens with a new M3 when you slam on the brakes? the car takes over and stops itself in about 2metres ... do the same in an entry level fiat punto? very different story ...
Funny you should say that Chris, I drove a Punto this morning. When I braked hard it pulled to the right,when I released the brake it shot off to the left. The owner seems to think it's fine though:eek: I bet he still gets cheap insurance though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts