Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People of the Alfa community please help me!...

I have recently purchased an 53K Alfa 159 JTD Ti I had it fully serviced with genuine Alfa parts, & I must say that everything about it is supurb except that when I start the car on a morning the throttle response is almost non existant & when I come to a junction or roundabout it just will not pull away unless i rev it up & slip the clutch on it?

The engine management light then came on with the message "get engine checked"

I was told the EGR valve was probably the culprit so I removed it & sure enough it was jammed right up with carbon... duely cleaned out & refitted I then turned my attention to another little valve to the left of the EGR valve which I was told also carbon's up, that was also really jammed up, again cleaned & refitted.

I am now at my wits end as this turned off the engine management light but alas the car still drives like a slug at low take off speeds but when the mid range revs kick in it takes off like a scalded cat!... What am I missing here?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO!

I would suggest checking the actual actuation of the EGR solenoid valve. Even through you have cleaned it out, it may still not be closing properly, meaning that all the turbo boost escapes backwards through the valve until you have enough revs and back pressure.

·
Registered
178 Posts
alfie boy, take a look at the guide posted in this thread: EGR Clean

How old is your 159? It may be worth replacing the EGR with the later design if its an early model?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Bungers its registered as an '08 when i cleaned the EGR out it was absolutely jammed with carbon i took an old toothbrush to it with a carb cleaner spray. I got it pretty spotless but the action of the little vave is "notchy" couold this be the problem then? cheers

·
Registered
178 Posts
You should have the newer one then if on a '08 plate. I *think* it should be a smooth action, as redmatt says its probably functioning correctly only when there is enough pressure built up. I'm not sure if they can be repaired, I had mine replaced under warranty along with a new inlet manifold as I was experiencing the same issues as you, plus a hesitation / misfire.

good luck!

·
Registered
363 Posts
You should have the newer one then if on a '08 plate. I *think* it should be a smooth action, as redmatt says its probably functioning correctly only when there is enough pressure built up. I'm not sure if they can be repaired, I had mine replaced under warranty along with a new inlet manifold as I was experiencing the same issues as you, plus a hesitation / misfire.

good luck!
When did you have this work done? Did it do the trick?

Mine's booked in to go to Heath Rd Garage tomorrow for this same issue. Or at least the same symptoms.

Speculation points to EGR valve failing, throttle bodies being mucked up, inlet being mucked up, or DPF being extremely blocked. So the diagnosis should be in on Wednesday.

·
Registered
178 Posts
When did you have this work done? Did it do the trick?

Mine's booked in to go to Heath Rd Garage tomorrow for this same issue. Or at least the same symptoms.

Speculation points to EGR valve failing, throttle bodies being mucked up, inlet being mucked up, or DPF being extremely blocked. So the diagnosis should be in on Wednesday.
I had the work completed in stages, firstly the EGR was replaced, along with a revised gasket (more restrictive apparently). That didn't help so they then diagnosed the swirl flaps as being at fault. A new (again revised) inlet manifold was fitted and this seemed to help a little. The hesitation / misfire has been with the car since I bought it in Dec '10. I have used forte diesel treatment which helped a bit, Redex, which did nothing & BG244 which has sorted the hesitation / misfire completely so it looked as though it was more to do with the fuelling system than the 'breathing' part of the car.

Ref the DPF, mine only does very short journeys on a regular basis (<15 miles a day) so I do the occasional forced regen or take it for a good ragging when I can get out without the kids onboard.

Let us know what the garage diagnose as the issue and good luck

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Have you thought about a DPF removal/knock out, EGR disable and Remap?

Many of us on the forum have gone down this route, and personally it has changed the car.

So much more driveable!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had the work completed in stages, firstly the EGR was replaced, along with a revised gasket (more restrictive apparently). That didn't help so they then diagnosed the swirl flaps as being at fault. A new (again revised) inlet manifold was fitted and this seemed to help a little. The hesitation / misfire has been with the car since I bought it in Dec '10. I have used forte diesel treatment which helped a bit, Redex, which did nothing & BG244 which has sorted the hesitation / misfire completely so it looked as though it was more to do with the fuelling system than the 'breathing' part of the car.

Ref the DPF, mine only does very short journeys on a regular basis (<15 miles a day) so I do the occasional forced regen or take it for a good ragging when I can get out without the kids onboard.

Let us know what the garage diagnose as the issue and good luck
BG:244 clean out suggests mucky/sticky valves... (?)

Everything I say is based on what I've read here. Not through experience. Just hope mines sorted. Don't want prolonged agony. The guy who's looking at my car this week is active on this forum and has had similar issues with his and managed to sort it. But every car is different. Hopefully it will be sorted and wont be too many of these .. £

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes it could have helped with dirty valves but I personalyl think that its the injectors its helped to clean up. I tried to get the dealer to replace them when it was in but he was having none of it :-(.

I will be getting a remap and the associated disabling of the bonkers EU handcuffs, however I have a few other things to do first (cambelt / service / buy a house!).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yes it could have helped with dirty valves but I personalyl think that its the injectors its helped to clean up. I tried to get the dealer to replace them when it was in but he was having none of it :-(.

I will be getting a remap and the associated disabling of the bonkers EU handcuffs, however I have a few other things to do first (cambelt / service / buy a house!).
I got the house bit sorted, this month it's cambelt, water pump, aux belt, pas belt, EGR, inlet manifold, throttle bodies, new EGR gasket... (OUCH).

Then EU handcuffs removed asap as long as the car's running properly after the above.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Blimey, I feel for you! I too wanted to make sure the car was running as it should prior to having it 'fettled', as it seems to be behaving itself at the moment I'm hoping it'll be soon!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the pointers gentlemen,

I removed & cleaned the EGR myself, & I have fitted the restrictive gasket but as stated it seemed to do the trick for a while with the management light going off.... but on the way home from work last night the "have engine checked" management light came on again so i'll persevere with another look at the EGR valve then if no joy Ii may take it down the removal of the thing completely & have it remapped!...

Incidently I had it remapped by Angel tuning of Leominster & the mid range pull away on it is now fantastic, worth the £200 it cost alone in grin factor & I reckon it'll pay for itself within the 1st year on fuel saving alone!....

·
Registered
178 Posts
So its already been mapped alfie boy, how long ago? I'm surprised that Angel didn't disable the EGR when it was originally done:confused:

I would ive them a call and ask for it to be remapped and have the EGR disabled, they'll probably do it for free if the original mapping wasn't too long ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no ive been "fraped" by my so called work mates... teach me to leave the screen up while trying to work as well!...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Angel tuning did the remap 4th Jan 12 it took them 7 mins to do the remap best £200 ive spent for a long time totally transformed the mid range pulling power on it & also on a run before these problems started I managed to get 69.1 mpg on the fuel comp reading steady on cruise for 40 odd miles its brilliant on fuel now I cannot believe it sometimes but its true.... invest in them as they are great!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd ask them to remap it again and ensure the EGR is deleted this time; it should have been offered in the first place IMO?

I think your trip computer must be faulty too - 69.1 mpg out of an alfa, were you being towed by chance? :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts