Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, my slightly less than a year old Canon camera broke. It's a A595 point-and-shoot, nothing very exciting.

It went back to Canon and they have now sent a replacement. The A595 is no longer made so they've sent me an A800 as a replacement. I was initially quite please because an A800 is 205 better than an A595 so it's going to be brilliant. But no.

It's exactly the ****ing same. Same number of pixels, same lens, same zoom. They've changed the buttons a bit and moved the flash sensor but otherwise it's identical in every way apart from costing a bit more money.

Has the world gone mad?

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Spec isn't everything. Just having the same numbers doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't take a better picture.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just realised the old one was actually a 495 not a 595 so it should be 305 better. I am, frankly, disgusted.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you complaining about the lack of updates to the newer
model or the naming convention?

Maybe it should be called the Canon 495S ?

;)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you complaining about the lack of updates to the newer
model or the naming convention?

Maybe it should be called the Canon 495S ?

;)
If you examine it really closely you can see that all of the buttons are slightly different in shape and position. What they do is the same but the shape and position is different by as much as 2-3mm in some cases. A 495S moniker would therefore be inappropriate I feel.

·
Administrator
87,045 Posts
Spec isn't everything. Just having the same numbers doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't take a better picture.

Exactly, according to the specs on dpreview it has a few added auto focus modes, though admittedly very little other differences.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
It's not an upgrade, it's just a renaming of their entry level model - they don't market it as a "better" model, also, looking at prices, it's £49.99 in Argos, whereas the best price for the A495 is £73.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It's the same with most mass produced, high tech items. Manufacturers feel compelled to bring out 'new' models every six months because that's what their competitors are doing. Sometimes they represent a true upgrade and sometimes they don't. Quite often the changes are purely cosmetic.

Out of all the compact cameras I've tried, Canon still get my vote. I just don't bother buying new ones that often :lol:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's also cost-reduction re-spins.

The new one probably costs less to make with better electronics integration
and redesigned (easier to manufacture/assemble) parts.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's the same with most mass produced, high tech items. Manufacturers feel compelled to bring out 'new' models every six months because that's what their competitors are doing. Sometimes they represent a true upgrade and sometimes they don't. Quite often the changes are purely cosmetic.

Out of all the compact cameras I've tried, Canon still get my vote. I just don't bother buying new ones that often :lol:
To be fair the only issue I had with the old camera was that it broke but Canon eventually addressed that by sending the new one. I don't spend a fortune on these things because they tend to spend a lot of time in the bottom of rucksacks on holiday etc so thay do get knacked. For the money the old one was excellent and the new one is just as good. when it eventually gets broken I imagine another Canon will follow.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AA batteries on the lower spec'd Sureshots is also a great "feature". ;)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AA batteries on the lower spec'd Sureshots is also a great "feature". ;)
I love AA batteries in cameras because if you forget spares, or the ones in it are flat, you can just wonder into a shop and buy some and carry on.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
:confused: What happened to the other 304 models inbetween ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts