Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if a thread already exists on this and apologies if so, but does anyone know if there is going to be a patch or upgrade available to connect my iTouch?

my wife's Nano works a treat but i got lots on my iTouch but can't use it! :(

·
Registered
467 Posts
You may be better off buying a usb stick and using that, we have an 80gb ipod video (has about 45Gb of music on it) that works fine with the blue&me however it does take a while to "build media library" every time we remove the ipod everyday. So have tried a usb stick and found that it is a lot quicker and has all the same functionality that the ipod has.

Have just bought some 16gb Lexar Jumpdrive usb sticks and will keep them in the car and use them as and when, with the 45gb of music I have I will split it up onto the usb sticks and use each stick as a different playlist.

·
Registered
467 Posts
plus the lexar jumpdrives are small enough not to be knocked or broken when using the gear stick / handbrake plus do not get in the way of anything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
@ steevie: I'm planning to do exactly the same as miy iPod video is becoming a hassle.

What are you using to sync your music to the USB sticks? Windows Media Player sucks a$$; iTunes doesn't pick up USB sticks and neither does Songbird. I use Windows, Linux and Mac - so I could use pretty much anything you suggest as long as it is easier than manually copying folders.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been toying with the idea of a USB stick but this confimrs it.

Thanks for the info mate.

D

·
0 Posts
@ steevie: I'm planning to do exactly the same as miy iPod video is becoming a hassle.

What are you using to sync your music to the USB sticks? Windows Media Player sucks a$$; iTunes doesn't pick up USB sticks and neither does Songbird. I use Windows, Linux and Mac - so I could use pretty much anything you suggest as long as it is easier than manually copying folders.
Surely you buy a USB stick to do away with having to sync?
Just copy and paste (or drag & drop) through windows explorer. Simples.

Or if the ipod is causing hassle, have a google for 'Rockbox firmware', it is a new operating system for the ipod and you can use it like a memory stick by dragging & dropping. Then you can do away with itunes, WMP, Songbird and all these crappy programs altogether

·
Registered
467 Posts
i have found that you can drag and drop your music straight from itunes too. Just highlight the music you want in your library and copy and paste it into tin usb stick

·
Registered
74 Posts
...have a google for 'Rockbox firmware', it is a new operating system for the ipod and you can use it like a memory stick by dragging & dropping. ...
That sounds pretty cool, but the benefit of using media players is that you can create playlists and they're easy to manage.

I'll definitely give Rockbox a try though, sounds like an interesting project. Thanks!

D

·
0 Posts
You can still create playlists with rockbox, you're up on computers if you can handle Linux, give it a blast, it's a dual boot so you can uninstall and swap back if you don't like it without trashing your ipod setup. It also makes folders easier to manage by not using some cryptic file system and a database, you can store files arranged as you would in windows, either play the files direct or go through a database.

And there are skins out there to make it look a zillion times better like have the next track scrolling along the screen and what bitrates it's playing at

Good luck dude!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks @dibby, Rockbox is _very_ slick! Installation on Linux was dead easy and it seems (preliminarily) that my iPod woes are a thing of the past.

It seems that the iPod runs in disk mode when plugged into the car which means that the lifespan will most probably be dramatically decreased. I guess iPods are throw away technology after all and I've had this one for a good few years - I'm not really that fussed if it dies.

I recommend Rockbox to anyone else on this board that is battling with their iPod.

D

·
0 Posts
Good news you're getting on well with it. :thumbs:

One thing I wondered is why Apple don't open up half of these options as standard, and put a nice easy access menu to repeat and shuffle.

Must admit, now I've made the switch I don't think I could go back

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Woah, woah, woah.....is this thread telling me the ipod touch DOESN'T work in the MITO? For f*c* sakes! One of the things I was looking forward to most was being able to connect my itouch and enjoying gigs of music.

What a load of crapola. I suppose I'll have to buy a USB stick then, dammit.

D

·
0 Posts
I suppose I'll have to buy a USB stick then, dammit.
... or an ipod video

The new ones don't do a lot more than the previous gen videos, they've added a big flashy touchy screen but it plays music and videos at the end of the day

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
...excuse my ignorance, but what's an 'ipod video'? Whatever it is, it sounds expensive. I don't want to have to buy ANOTHER ipod just for the sake of listening to music. Surely a USB stick is much cheaper, or am I being thick?

I'm still very surprised that the itouch doesn't work with the MITO, though. The car's brand-new, you think they'd have matched the technology in the car with the current technology that's available in the shops!

D

·
0 Posts
The ipod video was the previous version with the clicky wheel under the screen, the ipod touch has the full touch screen and no click wheel ... do a google image search for the 2 of them if that's not clear.

Selling the touch and buying a video on ebay would make you money rather than forking out on a whole new piece of kit so it won't work out expensive at all

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
...okay, thanks for that. I'm not going to sell my itouch, though. It's a good piece of kit that. I didn't buy it specially for the MITO, either so I'm not exceptionally gutted in that respect. I just thought it would, or SHOULD work with a new car.

D

·
0 Posts
Yep, it really should do, but good old Apple like to lock people out of their firmware and tie customers down to their proprietary systems. They won't give car stereo manufacturers (especially microsoft and their B&M system) access to the guts of their operating system so we'll have to wait for the Rockbox people to crack the iphone and ipod touch, that might open things up a bit but there's a lot of work in it, completely different operating system, all encoded and a different way of storing files doesn't make things easy.

·
Registered
297 Posts
@Dibby - Apple has a program to certify any hardware for iPod/iPhone - any company can have their products certified and get the specs for communicating with it. Pioneer, Alpine, ... do it. Ford and BMW also offer a certified kit as an option on their cars to support iPods/iPhones.
This is just Microsoft not wanting to spend money on making their product compatible with something competing with their (crappy) Zune players.

The main problem is that B&M tries to access the device as a USB disk, which is not possible for iPhone and iPod Touch. I currently have a simple kit from connects2 in my 147, which is able to play anything from my iPhone on the standard Blaupunkt radio unit...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts