Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this article today on the AOL UK site....so what are you doing to avoid being just another statistic? I for one try to be careful where I park. (well lit, public places where possible).

Italian and American cars are the top targets for UK vehicle thieves, it has been revealed.

Italian models, such as those produced by Fiat and Alfa Romeo, are the cars most broken into, while American vehicles are the ones most stolen, figures from car insurance company Admiral found.

The second most likely models to be broken into are French, followed by American, German and British. Swedish cars such as Volvo and Saab are least likely to be broken into. :confused:

After American models, the cars most likely to be stolen are British, German, Japanese and Italian. Owners of Spanish cars are least likely to suffer a break-in. (wonder why?):lol:

The statistics were based on nearly 180,000 cases of car crime. Admiral managing director Sue Longthorn said: "Most people associate cars from different countries with different qualities - for example, that German cars tend to be well-engineered, Italian cars stylish and British cars classy.

"We wanted to see if there were any trends when it came down to the nationality of cars being targeted by thieves."

She went on: "There are many reasons why certain cars are more popular with car thieves than others.

"It could be they are more desirable for professional thieves, or maybe their security systems are not so good, but of course in many cases it is just that they are in the wrong place at the wrong time."

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Interesting, thanks for posting :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
lol, you could have told us earlier. ive only had mine 2 days:eek:
good job ive got 3 cctv cameras pointing at it while its at home, and 3 staffordshires in the house should they try and get the keys:tut:

ive learnt from previous experience, ie car being spat on, wing mirrors kicked off etc.:mad:

got a nice heavy baseball bat sat by the front door too:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good job ive got 3 cctv cameras pointing at it while its at home, and 3 staffordshires in the house should they try and get the keys:tut:

ive learnt from previous experience, ie car being spat on, wing mirrors kicked off etc.:mad:

Wow :wow: I wouldn't like to catch you unawares Bob! Pity any would-be thief coming around your place.:D

W

·
0 Posts

Jeezzz, where do you live?!?!

Shame about this article, just what insurers need to raise premiums again!

Used to be astras and other vauxhall fodder that was top of the league.

wrinx

N

·
0 Posts
Sounds like yet more BS statistic from the insurers.

I bet it's only a secondary or tertiary effect
after taking into account the area you live in
and whether you have off street parking.

Isn't this already factored into your insurance
via the group rating?

EDIT: Oh look. Home Office figures
don't seem to back this up:
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-us/news/car-theft-2006

·
Registered
204 Posts
you dont have to worry bout me im a big softy, i just like to keep what ive got:)
like i say after owning 4 subarus you tend to defend/protect your car and not let some little scrote damage it.
but then again its just jealousy and a way of life im afraid to say:rolleyes:

besides..... if they pinch it they wont get far cos according to a certain Mr Clarkson they will break down before the end of the street:p

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like yet more BS statistic from the insurers.

EDIT: Oh look. Home Office figures
don't seem to back this up:
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-us/news/car-theft-2006

That's a really different list to the insurers survey. All those cars are old, and easy to break into and are probably used to get an opportunist thief from one end of town to the other, then dumped.

The insurers list is more likely based on newer, more expensive cars that are stolen for a different reason. ie. to order, or for spares.

·
Registered
910 Posts
:rant: :rant: on the 20th feb sat , morning ,i had my 156 broken into .they took my head unit ,jvc 400 quids worth and this was on my own drive the f..cking balls these scum bags have got i thought this problem died years ago :rant: :rant: what they going to get for it 20 quid,up the pub :rant: :rant: if i ever catch them it will be the last thing the b.stard ever picks up again:mad: :mad: i wouldnt mind this is a nice area ,or so i thought so:mad:

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
:rant: :rant: on the 20th feb sat , morning ,i had my 156 broken into .they took my head unit ,jvc 400 quids worth and this was on my own drive the f..cking balls these scum bags have got i thought this problem died years ago :rant: :rant: what they going to get for it 20 quid,up the pub :rant: :rant: if i ever catch them it will be the last thing the b.stard ever picks up again:mad: :mad: i wouldnt mind this is a nice area ,or so i thought so:mad:
well, as it's only the 14th today, I suggest you utilise your psychic skills and make sure you're waiting for them with a large blunt object when they visit your house on the 20th feb :eek:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi folks, i've had two wing mirrors kicked off mine in a 3 week period, i too am off to purchase a good baseball bat any suggestions? sickening world we live in, where scum bags actually get a thrill kicking mirrors off cars! I hate them with a passion! Just hoping never to come accross it or i will loose it completely and probabily end up behind bars! sickening to the core that you work hard for what you have for some retard to come along and bugger it up in one kick! F....ing low lifers!

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Bob i've had two wing mirrors kicked off mine in a 3 week period am off to purchase a good baseball bat any suggestions? sickening world we live in where scum bags actually get a thrill kicking mirrors off cars! I hate them with a passion!
don't get an aluminium one. they can bend. wood is far more effective. Also, whack it against the edge of a brick wall loads before use as this creates a nice jagged edge for maximum injury. :lol:

·
Registered
910 Posts
:lol: sorry about that ,i havent invented time travel yet honest,i ment 20th jan:rolleyes: mind you i would like to be waiting for them:rant: even better a baseball bat with nails in.:D

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Maglite (tm)(R) When you absolutely positively have
to brain the thieving mutha ****er!!!

Also more deniable if being accused by
the plod of being tooled up. ;)
That's what I have as well...in case I need something to 'see' who I am chasing after;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
After American models, the cars most likely to be stolen are British, German, Japanese and Italian.
So we don't have to worry, As you covered almost every car making nation in the world then and Italian was last. I like those ods!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts