Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just collected the car from the dealer , they have told me there must be a mouse living in the car ,it went in for a fuel leak and foam parts under the bonnet perishing , as after the filler tube and the gasket were replaced , the fuel was still leaking , after further digging , the mechanic has found the top of the tank were the fuel pipe goes into the tank has had a small area nibbled away , right through the tank , so when you move it is splashing out the tank hence the leak, so i was charged 200 quid and the car is still not fixed , new tank fitted 750 pounds , it has also had a go at the wires and plastic components under the bonnet , anyone had this problem , is there second hand tanks out there , is it repairable ( since it on the top ) ,will insurance entertain a claim ? what is the best way to get rid of the mouse if its still there , just laced the bonnet area with poison . :confused::cry:

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Just collected the car from the dealer , they have told me there must be a mouse living in the car ,it went in for a fuel leak and foam parts under the bonnet perishing , as after the filler tube and the gasket were replaced , the fuel was still leaking , after further digging , the mechanic has found the top of the tank were the fuel pipe goes into the tank has had a small area nibbled away , right through the tank , so when you move it is splashing out the tank hence the leak, so i was charged 200 quid and the car is still not fixed , new tank fitted 750 pounds , it has also had a go at the wires and plastic components under the bonnet , anyone had this problem , is there second hand tanks out there , is it repairable ( since it on the top ) ,will insurance entertain a claim ? what is the best way to get rid of the mouse if its still there , just laced the bonnet area with poison . :confused::cry:
This is a horrible problem because you just don't know how much damage has been done. If you store your car in a garage you may be able to claim on your house insurance, you may be able to claim on your car insurance but it's not a given. My suggestion to you is: find out everything that the mouse has had a go at and then try either your car or house insurance, whichever is appropriate for a repair. Good luck!

I had a 159 that was perfect until it went a local dealer for some bodywork to do done. Ever since then there were electrical problems: speedo, brakes, windows, milometer, engine cutting out. It just kept on going wrong. They asked me if I lived in the country because they thought it had been subject to an infestation of mice - which was odd because they were the ones with the mouse traps on the forecourt! Over a 6 month period I had a courtesy car for more than half of that time. Then the warranty ran out so it had to go. I feel sorry for whoever has it now.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sorry to hear your problem, this won't help you fix the problem. A few years ago when I was living in Germany I had my car attacked by what the Eric's call marder (little polecat/ ferret type creatures) had a hole chewed in a turbo hose, after that was told to mix some pimento with olive oil and brush it on hoses etc, they never came back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Again this won't help you but im a technician in a dealership myself and I've seen several cars have their wiring chewed so your not alone mate. Apparently its when the engine/exhaust are cooling down, when they are still warm but not hot, when they climb in and they then rip off all the wiring insulation for nests. Worst instance ive ever seen was a fullsize cat managed to clamber up inside the engine bay of a Diesel Jag X-Type but it hadnt been able to get back out. So by the time it came in for its next service all that was left was a skeleton with a little fur. Poor guy

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
There's a chap on Pistonheads who said he worked for a Land Rover dealership, and a Defender 90 came in with intermittent electrical issues. He's sent to look at it by his boss, and he comes back in two minutes and says, 'it needs a new wiring loom because a rat's eaten through it'.

'How do you know that in two minutes?', says his boss.

'Oh', he says, 'I opened the glovebox and a rat jumped out'.

·
AO Silver Member
2,073 Posts
There's a chap on Pistonheads who said he worked for a Land Rover dealership, and a Defender 90 came in with intermittent electrical issues. He's sent to look at it by his boss, and he comes back in two minutes and says, 'it needs a new wiring loom because a rat's eaten through it'.

'How do you know that in two minutes?', says his boss.

'Oh', he says, 'I opened the glovebox and a rat jumped out'.
OMG - that's horrible - will never be able to open my glovebox again without fear :lol:

Sorry to hear your problem though scubapower - hope you manage to claim for the damage through one of your insurance policies!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Worst instance ive ever seen was a fullsize cat managed to clamber up inside the engine bay of a Diesel Jag X-Type but it hadnt been able to get back out. So by the time it came in for its next service all that was left was a skeleton with a little fur. Poor guy
Shows you how often the owner checked his oil levels etc.

Makes me wonder if a mouse has had a go at my Fiat's wire since that's got intermittent electrical problems.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The damage was pointed out to the dealer , the mechanics said it was due to the vibration of the diesel engine , so they ordered the parts up under warranty , well the fuel tank is under the back seat , never check oil or topped up my screen wash there before , it wasn`t till i took the scuttle panel off i noticed the damage .

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Something similar happened to my Dad's car but luckily it doesn't look like they got anything important, just insulation from the bonnet. Buy a plug in mouse scare away'er :lol: plug that in the garage and it sends out sound signals mice can hear and it stops them coming back at least :thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts