Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share my experience really.

Bought an Alfa 156 JTD last month. ok ok so it was a private sale, i loved the car and didnt really consider it might have problems. ( naive i know.....but she looked so nice in black!! )

Since owning her i have managed to change and resolve a thermostat problem.
sort issues with ECU air bag warning lights. replace and resolve a throttle position sensor issue. car had seemed to be running ok until my aux belt semed to be squealing worse, and worse and worse.

I finally got it into AutoLusso of Wimborne who have told me the cars is in a bit of a sorry state, Cam belt looked knackered, water pump is on its way, 3 of the 4 CV joints need replacing, the aux belt and tensioners need changing, rear calipers have siezed....the list goes on.

anyway................AutoLusso have been fantastic, I should get my baby back tmrw at a cost of just under 1k.

Its money i didnt have to spend but hey, thats the Alfa way right? Baptism of fire into the Alfa ownership for me, but ultimately, i love my 156 and wouldnt change a thing.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
There are a lot of neglected ones out there, the suspension on that generation of cars doesnt seem to last much more than 50,000 miles, but the 156 still looks great and drives well if kept on top of maintenancewise.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well at least now you have a fresh new cambelt. Seems that a lot of people get it changed when buying used.

At least you'll have a nice little car now.:)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Loz will sort you out. Doesn't sound like you've done too badly there to be fair - at least the belt didn't snap.

L

·
0 Posts
1/2 the items you listed should have been caught by any trained mechanic during a pre-purchase inspection.

People who buy a car on looks alone often end up with a HUGH bill for repairs within a few weeks of their impuse purchase.

Its nOT the Alfa way, its the result of a poorly maintained car, could be any car.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry to hear about your woes, KarateRuss. Tough one to swallow, but consider it a lesson in life and put it down to experience. I suppose it's all relative to what you paid for the car and the mileage it has on it.

I think we have all bought a car under the direction of our heart rather than our heads! I know I have, it was an alfa 155 1.8 16v TS. I was in my early 20's and was well into my alfa's.

There are some great resources on here, and some good guys who enjoy having their brains picked.

Dom

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
1/2 the items you listed should have been caught by any trained mechanic during a pre-purchase inspection.

People who buy a car on looks alone often end up with a HUGH bill for repairs within a few weeks of their impuse purchase.

Its nOT the Alfa way, its the result of a poorly maintained car, could be any car.....
Bit harsh that mate, Alfas provoke emotional reactions, plenty of people buy because they fall for them, common sense seems to go out the window where Alfa buying is concerned :lol:

L

·
0 Posts
Bit harsh that mate, Alfas provoke emotional reactions, plenty of people buy because they fall for them, common sense seems to go out the window where Alfa buying is concerned :lol:
if he used his eyes to see the beauty of the car he should have been able to use them to see the defects too. the car is not a lemon, it was poorly maintained.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys, I went with my heart, I love alfas and dont regret the buy one little bit. In all honesty i think i would still have bought her had i known she had issues, just maybe not uite the money i paid, I fell in love soon as I saw her and that was it :)

I paid just under 1200. had recent reciepts with her for clutch/gear box/ tyres, shes on a w plate @ 129k miles.

Lawrence at AL seems like a bloody nice chap with an efficient and intelligent team, i have no doubts at all that the work carried out will be of exceptional quality.

just cant wait to get her back tmrw!!

oh, and LACKEN156, you clearly never been in love!! hahahaha

L

·
0 Posts
& none are Diesel.

75 x 3
155 x 3
GTV x 1
33 4WD x 1
156 x 7 [ 2 are 2.5 V6s ]

L

·
0 Posts
not all in top class condition, most need alot of work in order to get them road worthy but I knew that when buying them ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts