Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Just wanted to put this out there to the experts-
I have a 2009 2.4 ti, which has remained standard until this week. Its on 50k and at 30k it had the works done to sort clogged up manifold, swirls and head etc. Ran sweet as there after, other than the odd typical alfa moments. Its been under alfa extended warranty until recently so have left alone for fear of invalidating warranty etc.

Long term I want to have the gus/njs/other treatment but due to insurance issues this will wait until renewal in next few weeks.

Anyway, to the point. Fitted diamond shaped egr valve blanking plate with the 9mm hole this week just to protect the inlet system etc. Now it takes at least two attempts to start when cold and there is clear hesitation at about 1500 rpm in any gear, not just the 5th/6th pulling issues that many have reported. Idle is lumpy and just appears to be running like a dog.
I have subsequently cleaned the MAP (pretty bad) so I assume the rest of the inlet system is the same again. The only thing is to do a ecu reset with battery off, which it is currently doing.
So to the experts; do you think the blanking plate would cause these issues? Or is it a bizarre coincidence. For info turbo spools up and holds boost fine and it does cane along when giving beans and there are no eml's. Dpf regens taking place regularly and always allowed to complete the process.
Im getting very embarrassed with trying to start the car for work each morning with the neighbours shouting the usual alfa jokes :rolleyes: at me so any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance all.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Firstly I would go back in and double check the bolts etc. did you leave the gasket in place, did you clean the EGR at the same time?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply G,Yeah gaskets as before, used ally plate to ensure seal was better as opposed to stainless version. Didn't clean egr, however but it wasn't causing any issues prior to plate? My only other thought was the £20 of supermarket diesel that went in it when I was in need abc my usual was closed. Will see later if the ecu overnight reset has helped??

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Yeh, I never used a gasket, shouldn't be an issue unless damaged ( easy to check as you'll already have soot in there, it's frightening how quickly it builds!). I'd definitely give it a quick clean, especially between the the main body and solenoid. Often a look of soot builds up in there and can stop the EGR closing. Check the solenoid is free to move whilst you are in there!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Started first time this morning and with the exception of one slight hesitation in 4th at 1300 rpm all seams fine again. Will keep fingers crossed. Your right tho, can't believe how quick inlet system must have clogged up again. Probably not as bad as when it has major overhaul but even still. What's your thoughts on the bg inlet clean? I only ask because I don't want any underlying issues before I get egr/ dpf removal as its a 2009 so has more strict emissions.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
did you disconnect the ECU whilst u were playing with it to reset the ECU, resetting the adaptive parameters may help?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
that aint the official gasget according to my understanding.

the official one is the square side with 4 holes in it and orange rubber gasget around the outside.

edit, this one I think: linky

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, thanks for the input. The ecu reset has done nothing both when changing plate, and on an overnight battery off. seemed ok this morning but tonight back to the rough starts and still hesitating, strangly seems to only be on half throttle. my understanding would be that egr valve is open more when on partial throttle than full throttle?
Thanks for the input re the other plates available, may try drilling slightly larger hole, but at the costs will probably get the alfa copy version, however as im most proably going down the dpf/egr removal/delete soon i may just take out and live with potential more inlet clogging for what will only be a few weeks.

I would say tho I am confused as to why the inboard plate would be needed aswell surely if the gases arent getting into the egr on the first place then the inboard would be slightly redundent, or is it a case of reducing the already reduced is better again or will this lead to similar problems that im having now even with the correct plates?

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Delete post, duplicate, thanks autoguide

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your betting on coincidence the Giblets that egr had started playing up at same time as plate fit. No issues prior to fitting, as its a ten minutes job, I will take out plate and run for a few days and report back. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Yep, maybe! :) when putting in the new plate it is possible you knocked it, or left a hole in it, the bit between he solenoid and valve is full of cr*p. this site shows the bit I'm talking about ( between the black solenoid assembly and main body. It is supposedly closed off but everyone finds it full.
http://www.mediafire.com/?nxgz2frzy0y

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok then, plate out for now. Quick drive as mrs af, getting fed up now, and all appears normal again. These plates obviously work for some but not for me. Will see what it's like on the weeks commute and report back if it isn't the plate after all. Thanks again for everyone's input

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks spider, yes I agree with you. I wanted to run as standard regardless just to keep the variables down as ensure its the 9mm plate. It's only a 10 minute job anyway so no swet taking in and out.

Will prob leave for now as going to go for egr delete / dpf out when insurance is renewed in September . Otherwise I will go for correct plates as you listed earlier if costs are too high at renewal.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
The diamond three hole restrictor is for the 8v, has about the same flow rate as the larger single hole diamond shape. The official alfa/fiat restrictor for the 1.9 16v is the square restrictor posted above.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi guys dont want to hijack this thread but just after a bit of advice

I took my EGR off and cleaned it as per the guide and also cleaned the MAP sensor and fitted the diamond (with single hole) restricting valve

Anyway I drove to and from work yesterday (motorway driving) fine. I turned the car off and went inside for 10minutes when I got home and came back to start and got the Engine Light on and the warning saying Check Engine. I checked the fault code and it was P0401 - EGR Insufficient Flow Detected

However I havent cleared it yet as I wanted a bit of advice. My car is still running 'normal' and hasnt gone sluggish or into limp mode. Would I be safe clearing the code and would I have to remove the restrictor plate and revert back to 'standard'. I have also ordered the square restrictor plate for putting on to the manifold side to see if it helps

Any advice would be appreciated

TIA

·
Registered
291 Posts
I installed Fiat original restrictor plates on both in and out of the EGR. Car runs better and there is no error. The plates have three holes.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi guys dont want to hijack this thread but just after a bit of advice

I took my EGR off and cleaned it as per the guide and also cleaned the MAP sensor and fitted the diamond (with single hole) restricting valve

Anyway I drove to and from work yesterday (motorway driving) fine. I turned the car off and went inside for 10minutes when I got home and came back to start and got the Engine Light on and the warning saying Check Engine. I checked the fault code and it was P0401 - EGR Insufficient Flow Detected

However I havent cleared it yet as I wanted a bit of advice. My car is still running 'normal' and hasnt gone sluggish or into limp mode. Would I be safe clearing the code and would I have to remove the restrictor plate and revert back to 'standard'. I have also ordered the square restrictor plate for putting on to the manifold side to see if it helps

Any advice would be appreciated

TIA
I would remove plate and see if error still exists, egr might not have liked being cleaned? But at least you can eliminate by process, then try the plates identified above. I had no eml with single hole plate, but it ran badly.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts