Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for reading my thread.

I have just bought a 1994 164 30 24V. The vehicle was garaged for the past 2 years so i booked it for a cam belt and oil service.

I have noticed that the coolant temperature gauge goes immediately to red as soon as the ignition is turned on... have you ever experienced something like this? could it be that the temp sender is faulty, faulty wiring or perhaps the wrong part?

Appreciate if you could help

Many thanks
R

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sounds like inverted wiring somewhere. I haven't heard of this issue before... Maybe worth looking at the temp sender by the thermostat housing. Check the wiring, maybe even invert the connector and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
It shouldn't (!) be possible to reverse those connections as the blades and terminals are different sizes....but who can say what may have happened in the history of the car and that diagnosis seems most likely. For clarity, there is a temperature sender for the ECU that has a 'mini timer' connector on it and the sensor usually has a blue plastic top to it, the gauge and warning light sender is nearby, and has two spade connectors sticking out of it.

Once you have identified the wires, normally there is a black earth wire bundled with them as well that bolts to the stat housing, you can test the gauge and warning light by dabbing each wire to ground in turn and seeing what happens on the dash. It's also vaguely possible that the warning light sender switch has just shorted I suppose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gents,
Thanks for your suggestions. I will try it out as soon as I return home toward mid March.
Will keep you posted

1 - 4 of 4 Posts