Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not very exciting I know but fellow parents may know what I'm talking about...

It seems virtually all new cars including Alfas have ISOFIX child seat mountings in them, but there are hardly any ISOFIX child seats on the market.

Of those that are, has anyone found one that the manufacturer says is actually compatible with their Alfa (particularly the 159)? The only Alfa on the Britax list is the 156-facelift SW! Seems a bit odd, not to mention unhelpful.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
There is an official Alfa "accessory" of a choildseat (at least for the GTA), very dear price though.
I have forgotten the make, sorry (Think it had the word "Kiddy" in it)

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think the Alfa seat is the Britax seat, rebranded.
I would imagine the 159 is not listed as it is a fairly new model.

Any decent supplier will bring the seat out and install it in your car, even if it is listed on their sheets. I had our Britax seat fitted in our Megane with IsoFix. Mothercare do this as standard procedure.

On a slightly side note. The IsoFix base is a GodSend. Esp. when it is raining, you just press a big button and the seat is unlocked from the base, fo messing around with seatbelts etc.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Maybe I'm naive and jump to the most hopeful conclusion, but the term "Isofix" kind of implied to me that the things were supposed to be universal. Nah, on second thoughts who would benefit - except the user.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Recaro do some nice ISOFIX seats for £85 - £105. They are cool and very safe.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Wrenched said:
Maybe I'm naive and jump to the most hopeful conclusion, but the term "Isofix" kind of implied to me that the things were supposed to be universal. Nah, on second thoughts who would benefit - except the user.
Just what I was thinking.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
The attachment points certianly are universal, however the various curvatrure of the seats and headrests etc has to be individually tested and certified by the manufacturer accor5fing to the Brittax rep I spoke to about 2 1.2 years ago. They said ayt the time they didn't do any isofix seats for the 156 (BTW I am pretty sure she said for not for any 156, and not just GTAs).

For what its worth I tried out of interest the Brittax isofix seat in the GTA, but it wouldn't fit due to the heavy leather bolstering in the rear seats.

Cheers,
TB

Wrenched said:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trailbraker said:
The attachment points certianly are universal, however the carious curvatrure of the seats and headrests etc has to be individually tested and certified by the manufacturer accor5fing to the Brittax rep I spoke to about 2 1.2 years ago. TB
Yeah that's the problem I'm referring to really. It's Britax whose current list only has the 156 SW on it. There are a number of recently launched cars on there so the absence of other Alfas is puzzling.

Couldn't agree more that the concept of a universal safety device is rather lost when there are anomalies like this.:rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for all the tips everyone - next stop Maxi-Cosi and hopefully a seat they can assure me is meant to work properly in my car!

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,149 Posts
Timinho said:
... next stop Maxi-Cosi and hopefully a seat they can assure me is meant to work properly in my car!
I would imagine they'd let you try before you buy rather than working on the basis of salespersons' assurance...

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The facelift 156's defo have ISOFIX as standard in the rear. IIRC, front passenger seat too (as long as you switch the airbag off :eek:).

We hope to try for a child soon (post October) so I have looked into this already!

Cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The Britax Duo Plus ISOFIX is the recommended seat for the Brera, I think. You have to use the sleeves to protect the seat leather from the prongs. These had got lost by the shop when I tried it for size.

I then tried the Jane Indi Plus - but it was a pig to fit - the prongs were impossible to engage - too big for the slots.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
This area is a real minefield, as I found out about 9 months ago when I was looking for a seat. To cut a long story short, only cars actually tested by britax etc will find their way on to the list. By testing we mean smashing a car in to a wall!
Alfa would not give britax or any other companies it seems a car to test, hence Alfas did not appear on the 'approved' list.
Looks like that have finally got around to testing the newer models.

In the end I bought a Britax duo plus isofix seat for my GT, and we have another in my wife's Golf. They're the smallest seats that we could find and fit extremely well. We got them both from Mothercare as they were the only store that seemd to know what they were talking about, and were very helpful

I couldn't actually find a non-isofix seat that would fit at all. Buckle crunch was a real problem with most seats, and price made no difference either.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By way of an update my trusty Alfa dealer has said it can supply a Group 1 seat (that's for 1 to 4 year olds) for £241.82!

I guess this is the one mentioned earlier in the thread. They tell me it's made by Britax and have kindly sent me this link to it, which shows it being used on a Grande Punto. Don't ask me why the text's in German, but suffice to say I can't read it!

http://www.fiatshop.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=801009956&osCsid=1b2a687f2f4385

Nobody wants to take a risk with these things and I may well buy it but I sense it may be a bit of a con. One suspects it's basically identical to the Britax seat you can get in the shops for way less money, but Britax doesn't list the 159 as an authorised car...:confused:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
That seat in the pic IS the Britax Duo Plus isofix. It's just in a different materal, and has a Fiat number, so they can rip you off with the price. You shouldn't be paying more than about £180 for one. I managed to get mine (we have two, one in a golf, the other in my GT) for £160 each. Can't recommend them enough, by far the best fitting seat we could find.

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
mothercare do loads of ISOFIX seats from birth to 11yrs.

I have also had to look into this for Hmmmmmm 3 months time form now !! :D

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have a the Britax Cosy Tot, (number 2 in the overall performance rankings). I tried for the first time this weekend and it fits perfectly in my 147 when using the seat belt. There are no isofix points in the 147.
It is usually in our Renault Megane, which has the isofix base.

BTW, I think you are meant to use those 'sleeves' that AlfaRedTheGreat mentioned on all cars, regardless of seat type.

P.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts