Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just had a question pop into my head. My engine is the 140BHP 1.9JTD M-Jet, year 2003. It's quite the poverty spec unfortunately, manual climate control, no cruise nor even power windows at the rear.

It is what is it, but I wonder - does it have VDC (ESP)? It's got ASR for sure as I have a button to disable it, but I've hit a brick wall as to how I can test if I have VDC or if it's standard on the 147 with this engine selection. I don't have the VDC symbol on the cluster, just ABS and ASR, but I believe all pre-facelifts are like that, even those equipped with VDC.

So, is it standard, is it not, how can I test if I have it?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I would think so, as I somehow thought that ASR and VDC was bundled in one package. Maybe not before the facelifted version and for some models/markets though, so this answer is not very helpful.

Is there any useful information in the car manual if you have one? Or maybe a separate fuse for the VDC system.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
The 156 certainly flashes a VDC light if driven in hooligan manner.

When connecting diagnostics and doing all the selections (model, year, engine, system) I have noticed that on the 156, some are listed as VDC and some ABS systems are listed as ASR types. That makes me think that it is possible not to have VDC. Frankly, the car is better off not having it because all it does is slow the car down and make the brakes much less effective if trying to get a move on. I've had 2 156s with this system which is designed to keep imbeciles alive and I'd rather not have this dangerous nannying system and instead let natural selection run its course.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would think so, as I somehow thought that ASR and VDC was bundled in one package. Maybe not before the facelifted version and for some models/markets though, so this answer is not very helpful.

Is there any useful information in the car manual if you have one? Or maybe a separate fuse for the VDC system.
Nothing really in terms of specs the system is on. It does say “If fitted” next to it so it must not be standard. I read ASR is part of the VDC package, but if it is required to have the whole VDC package in order to have ASR - no idea.
@Fruity: I frankly don’t drive exuberantly enough to throw the tail out - I like to keep it in the limit. I’ve had two lift off oversteera which were on a mad angle and car straightened fast, but I’d like to think my skills did that, not VDC ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts