Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Im new here and would very much like a nice Alfa to drive every day. Could I please ask your advice on a car I've seen?

I've seen a couple of nice Gts but when looking at one this morning I spotted a very straight looking 156 Twin Spark Veloce on an 03 plate with 74K on the clock, and only two owners..... It seemed a lot of car for the money( £50 under £2K) .:inlove:

The plae blue Paint seemed really nice, really nice, only the very odd stone chip which had been touched in. No rust on the wings or anywhere else I could see. The alloys seemed very clean with only the odd, very minor, scrape. The interior is very clean and all the electrics seem to work. The gear knob was quite worn - I would choose to fit a new one I think. Is this a simple job?
The car hadnt been started since before Christmas but fired up willingly. It was a little rattley for a couple of seconds - not like a diesel engine at all. More like my Golf used to sound after being stood for a couple of weeks. The car idled well and the second time we started it there was no noise at all.

There is Caledonia service history up to 55,000- then a local garage, then a gap.... The Cam belt was changed at 54,000.

Tyres and exhaust seem good. All in all it looked like great value.

But what do you think? is there anything I should be looking for? I would really value any advice on this.
Kind regards,
Darren

L

·
0 Posts
timing belt is due in 14k miles [ 90k miles max ]

OR

the balance of time left form 3 years.

in other words what month/year was the belt last replaced, add 36 months to that month/year

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I would check the engine oil level, Twin Sparks do use oil. When was the last oil change, the colour of the oil and its level would give an indication of how well it's been looked after. You need to take it for a drive to get a true measure of how it feels, if the car hasn't been started for a few weeks the oil will take time to circulate, so the noise can be explained providing the usual checks on bearings are OK.

By the way, you will be looking at another belt change at 90k.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Sounds okay... :)

You have to remember it's an 8yo car .. and a discountinued model from a manufacturer that is largely an unknown quantity to the general public (and any "knowledge" Joe has is probably cliched negative).. so the price reflects all that more than the actual car itself...

Make sure everything works and that the warning lights on the dash come on.. then all go out after a few seconds... budget for a cam-belt change (at 3 yrs or 36,000 miles from when it was last done) then buy it and enjoy it..

:thumbs:

Ralf S.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Check the floorpan underneath the rear footwells. Rust is common on 156's in that area.

Also inner sils and front chassis legs.

Not all 156's are affected, but it is worth checking. If it is nice and solid, it would be worth doing some additional rust protection on it to prevent future issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are right of course Lacken, just dont like parting.....

Thanks Symon - will have a look.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Drive it over some speed bumps.
Front suspension squeaks over bumps probably top wishbone.
Front suspension knocks probably bottom wishbone or drop links.
Front suspension knocks and it feels like it's under your feet then probably anti roll bar bushes.
Rear tyres worn unevenly then it could be they have been swapped off of the front or it could be worn rear suspension bushes.
Start it a few times and if the rattle that you previously heard returns it is probably the variator on the camshaft. Just leave that until the cambelt is due and get it changed then - they will rattle for ages without worry.
Test the handbrake on a steep hill as the cables can seize.
Any warning lights on the dash?
Do the rear electric windows work and smoothly? The mechanisms do seize up. Most people think it's the switches but it is almost always the mechanism inside the doors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks to everyone for their kind contributions - I have had a test drive and the car seem solid in every respect. Water has got behind the boot and bonnet badge so I'll change those but apart from that we seem good to go. A deposit has been left while the car is prepped. The 156 seems almost stupid value - it is costing almost exactly the same as my last service bill on the TVR Cerbera. duh!

OOh! just one more thing. The display on top of the dash is showing a window symbol in the right hand segment. Is this correct?

·
Registered
830 Posts
OOh! just one more thing. The display on top of the dash is showing a window symbol in the right hand segment. Is this correct?
That would suggest one of the doors is open I believe - faulty connection on the door? I treat Alfa badges as consumables :lol:; you will undoubtedly have to replace front and rear ones during your ownership anyhow so no biggy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah! right.Thank you. They'd left the boot open as well so probably nothing. Any tips on removing the old badges without marking anything?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ah! right.Thank you. They'd left the boot open as well so probably nothing. Any tips on removing the old badges without marking anything?
Yeh the symbol will show if any of the doors/boot are open. Do a search on here, there are some guides for changing the badges - all straightforward and you shouldn't be in danger of damaging anything. Alfa must make a fortune in selling replacement badges :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
i got my badges from Ebay, can get them for less than a 10enner if you shop around, just make sure they're the right ones for you car as there's different fixings for different cars

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Many thanks boys..... I had a bad feeling the cam belt would rear it's ugly head :)
part of the servicing and running of a car im afraid.......neglect it and say bye bye to your engine

id want it with 12 months mot too, full ticket or no sale

wrong choice though when you been looking at gt's the diesel is amazing giving 40+ mpg urban and 60 on runs.............and is such a pretty car in every way.......i adore mine so does the wife

Gary

1 - 18 of 18 Posts