Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good point .. I think o lot of the problems raised here are common to a lot of different car's \ manufactures

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have a search of other forums looking for vehicles consistently get sub 8k out of fronts and you will struggle ... even 270 hp rear wheel drive beemer drivers get 12,000 and they moan like crazy about that.

I don't have a problem as read about the tyre wear before I bought the car, but even I was surprised to get less than 5k out of a pair of Vredesteins. BB you (might) be in a few thousand miles scrabbling around for cheap as chips chinese rubbish to put on your beautiful car when the prospect of over 400 quid for a couple of pirelli's becomes a regular reality..... etc. etc. etc.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I might be looking for some cheaper rubber, but the 18's I had on it previously had covered well over 10,000 miles before being scrubbed on the inside edges.

Still rather have to change the tyres than the wheels though... :)
Amen to that BB, just think if were really loaded we'd be running around in V6's AND 19's asking the DVLA if we can pay road fund licence by direct debit ... :lol:

Enjoy the wheels :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
I kept a close eye on the tyres when I first got my Ti after seeing the thread on here and as soon as I saw them scrubbing off I had it back to the dealers for the tracking sorting. I have now just changed my first two tyres at 14k but it was the rear ones I had to change, there is still almost 4mm left on the front ones which I have now moved to the rear.
The NSR was almost bald on the inner half of the tyre even though it was fine 6 weeks earlier so the car is in for 4 wheel tracking.

Back in my youth I was a tyre fitter and trust me the cheaper tyres are made of softer compound and are more prone to uneven, rapid wear. As with most things in life you get what you pay for, I would only ever fit Dunlops (best grip in a mixture of weather conditions and perfectly even wear) or Pirellis (fantastic grip at all times but prone to wear quicker htan the Dunlops).

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
I kept a close eye on the tyres when I first got my Ti after seeing the thread on here and as soon as I saw them scrubbing off I had it back to the dealers for the tracking sorting. I have now just changed my first two tyres at 14k but it was the rear ones I had to change, there is still almost 4mm left on the front ones which I have now moved to the rear.
The NSR was almost bald on the inner half of the tyre even though it was fine 6 weeks earlier so the car is in for 4 wheel tracking.

Back in my youth I was a tyre fitter and trust me the cheaper tyres are made of softer compound and are more prone to uneven, rapid wear. As with most things in life you get what you pay for, I would only ever fit Dunlops (best grip in a mixture of weather conditions and perfectly even wear) or Pirellis (fantastic grip at all times but prone to wear quicker htan the Dunlops).
I would have thought cheaper tyres were full of cheap Filler...meaning they would have been rather hard .

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm sure the issue is a combination of big wheels/spirited driving.

I had 15K out of my first set of fronts and the rears have just been changed at 25K. Sticking with the factory Bridgestone RE050's on 18". I had a Volvo S60 before the Alfa which always got 17" Pirellis on them and I'm pretty sure they wore just as quick, so I'm not entirely convinced it's a problem with Alfa's. By contrast, my C-Class (02) on 15" wheels must have got about 20K from a set.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts