Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
There isn't a single port on a phase 1. Each device has it's own port.

ABS - right next to the ABS unit in the engine bay
Airbag - under the rear seat
Engine - behind the carpeted side trim in the passenger footwell.

You can sort of see the engine port it in this photo -
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m615/pkr1/Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 1 - Retro Fit Climate Control/3 Installing the climate control unit/3-3 Electrical work/2011-11-16_14-12-38_DSC_0143.jpg
See the white & red lead running across the top, parallel with a black wire and crossing over the green connector? That's it. The red circle on the extreme left is part of the 3 pin connector. ( Sorry not the best illustration but it does give you some idea!).

You'll need a 3pin adapter lead like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-3pin-Alfa-Lancia-OBD-Diagnostic-Adapter-Cable-/250830594316?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a66ab210c to use with the lead you linked to. The red and black leads need to be connected to battery + and -ve for it to work.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the info,shame you need to connect it to the battery for it to work may give it a miss now :(.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Thanks for all the info,shame you need to connect it to the battery for it to work may give it a miss now :(.
The cigarette lighter is nearby. Just cannibalise an old phone charger ( you need to rip out the electronics inside the charger though ). Or use the feed to the radio. For ground/earth, just clip on to the hole that the carpeted side trim screws into.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats a good idea :) saying it like that makes it sound a little better. Am I better to get this laptop connector or purchase a OBD2 reader instead for the car? just liked the idea of plugging the car into a laptop :) but would a OBD2 reader be easier or will that still need to connect to the battery?.

M

·
0 Posts
Get the 3 pin adaptor which has the power leads on it. I then got a cigar lighter attachment for a pound off ebay and connected it. That powers it all. No need to run cables to the battery :D

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Thats a good idea :) saying it like that makes it sound a little better. Am I better to get this laptop connector or purchase a OBD2 reader instead for the car? just liked the idea of plugging the car into a laptop :) but would a OBD2 reader be easier or will that still need to connect to the battery?.
I don't think an OBD2 reader will work, because the car isn't OBD2-compliant, and it would still need powering anyway.

The little three-pin connectors are just a serial data connection - the later 16-pin connector provides the car's 12v power and several serial connections at once. That's why you need to provide power to the adaptor and why there is a separate connector for each ECU.

Then on the laptop you need either Alfadiag (which I have) or FIATECUScan (which covers a much wider range of applications). It's also possible to use Unidiag I believe, just that the process is somewhat more cryptic.

-Alex

1 - 9 of 9 Posts