Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been 3 weeks since I had my thermostat changed, and my oil level hasn't moved - not one drop has been used with a combination of careful and ... FUN driving on the twisties around here. About 1,200 miles.

Before I got it done, the engine was running between 50 - 70 (usually nearer 50) degrees and using about 2 litres of oil per week. And that was keeping it under 3k - any time I went over, it was as if it used oil instead of petrol lol.

Same oil in the car.

Might be worth considering since there are loads of stories about cars using a metric assload of oil, and equally as many problems with thermostats.

(156 2.0 TS by the way).

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Possibly, but where did the oil go before?? Hard to believe it's just seepage past the oil ring, but I suppose it could be. But I would have thought if it had that much wear, it would manifest itself in other ways as well.

Was there evidence of overly smoky exhaust, before replacing the thermostat?

I changed my thermostat earlier this year as it was, like yours, rarely climbing above an indicated 55 degrees, but I had no significant oil loss before, or since.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
is your dipstick broken? ;)

I had 156 TS that didnt leak (not that I could see..) didnt blow blue smoke of death, yet still kept the Middle East in football clubs for another year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope that was what was doign my head in - no smoke, no leaks but yet my oil was escaping lol. Not any more, so not complaining but the only thing I've changed is the thermostat (and the belt tensioners but it wont be that).

·
Registered
37,768 Posts
I would have expected it to use more after the thermostat was changed.

A hotter engine means the oil will be hotter and thinner and more likely to get past the rings.

But then it is an Alfa we are taking about, and normal logic doesn't always apply. :lol:

·
Registered
382 Posts
if the engine didn't reach it's proper operating temperature,it may have been putting more fuel in(thinking it wasn't warm yet,which it wasn't!)and that may have been 'washing' the oil from the bores?only a thought!either that or it is just because it is an Alfa!!:lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts