Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to every one!

I know this might be boring as might have been discoursing several times in this forum, but I really need some help in here.

I recently purchased a set of H&R springs for my late 33 with 3 bolts top mount. So the front ones are conical springs as most of you may know... Since two days I'm trying to install them the right way but still something looks wrong in front (both sides).
Before putting the new lowered springs I also changed the front dumpers from the stock Boge to a spare pair of KAYABA ones I had to my crashed 33. I noticed that the lower spring pan on Boges doesn't move or rotate, so it's fixed, on the other side the lower pans on the KAYABAs rotate and have a slightly different shape but the spring fits perfectly there.
At the back the new spring fit perfectly, but in front something looks wrong. Any ideas?
Someone in here mentioned that the end of the spring (both sides) should face toward the engine, and I also tried this but for me still doesn't look rights. You can judge yourself from the pics above.

Please, I need some advice to put them the right way as the next week I have to go for the Annual Technical Control:(, but not like that:confused:

the front springs look they have difficulties on seating properly on the upper spring pans, at the bottom they seat perfectly. What might be causing this. What is the right pan and spring direction???????????

Apart the problem, I must say that after installing the H&R spring, the driving in my 33 is far away better from what it used to be. Acceleration is better, tight corners and turns are just unnoticeable now, the car feels a lot stiffer and gives a sporty sensation...

Any advice is appreciated.

cheers,
Elvis

Attachments

K

·
0 Posts
surely those front springs are on upside down :confused:

tighter coils to the top, same as you've got the rears.

to do with unsprung weight i believe...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't think the lower pan should be able to rotate on a strut with 3 bolts on top. But it does need to rotate on a 4 bolted strut. To me it looks like a mixup of 3 and 4 bolted struts?!?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
surely those front springs are on upside down :confused:

tighter coils to the top, same as you've got the rears.

to do with unsprung weight i believe...
Hi kevjtd,

They can't be put upside down as my 33 is the Imola version and uses conical front springs, not cylindrical like the rest of 33s.

Then the back ones are put in the right way, at least.

-What do you mean by unsprung weight???

thanks,
Elvis

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think the lower pan should be able to rotate on a strut with 3 bolts on top. But it does need to rotate on a 4 bolted strut. To me it looks like a mixup of 3 and 4 bolted struts?!?
Hi reijnaje!

This might explain some of the trouble I'm having with this springs...:rant:
So, serie 3 33's lower pans do not move or rotate, like the Boge factory dumpers I took of the car (they wont rotate), but the KAYABAs I installed, have rotating lower pans, so it means they were designed for S1 and S2 33 until 1990 that uses cylindrical front springs and have 4 bolt top mount then!!!! And actually the KAYABAs had a slightly thicker axle than the BOGEs, so the top mount the Kayabas had (also 3 bolt), would not fit to the BOGEs ( I tried)...

It means that if I put back the Boge ones in the car, then I can also install properly the conical springs I got (I HOPE):(:confused:
But they are almost done and to be thrown, will this cause the front H&R spring to rub on the inner wings?

What happens if upper top mount is mixed up and the left one is mounted in the right dumper and the same for the other side...with this cause the spring to rub on the inner wing???

Please, really need some advice.

Also can someone help me on finding online or give me manufac. no. for:

- 2 front shocks Boge for the late 1993 S3 33 Imola with 3 bolts top mount
- 2 new top mounts with 3 bolts for Imola thet fits with Boges

I would be very happy if someone can give me a hand on fixing the mess I have done...:(

thanks,
Elvis

·
Registered
123 Posts
Somewhere during the lifecycle of S3 there was an "upgrade" from 4 bolted struts into 3 bolted struts. I think it was in 1992/1993.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I know on the 4 bolt strut setup, if the lower spring pans are swapped it can cause the spring to rub on the inner of the wheel arch, I found this out when I lowered my ser 2, somehow it had 2 left or 2 right ones.
Also if the top rubbers are not correct it makes the bottom of the spring sit in the wrong place, again causing rubbing.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
The lower spring pan in your pic should sit on a large bearing with yellow plastic housing. I'd guess that's missing? You can't mix later S3 strut parts with earlier bits.

And where are your front springs :) Looks like there's only one effective coil! They will be stiff riding that's for sure.

·
Registered
415 Posts

I would be very happy if someone can give me a hand on fixing the mess I have done...:(

thanks,
Elvis[/QUOTE]

The shock absorbers for the 3 bolt set up are no longer available from Alfa Romeo as I found out around 5 months ago. Knowing they were made by Boge, I contacted the parent company ZF in Germany who told me they were still available from any Boge/ZF dealer. I took the part numbers to my local motor spares shop and they got them with 2 days.
The Boge part numbers are 170 478 & 170 479 and are around £130 each (these are for the 16v version but will fit any 3 bolt set up such as the Imola)
Try looking here for the part numbers for your car: WebCat 3 .

Top mounts are still available from Alfa Romeo, I got some a few months ago for around £60 each, part numbers are 60569483 (left), 60577815 (right)

There are a couple on Italian Ebay but only left ones for some reason:

5851 SUPPORTO AMMORTIZZATORE ALFA 33 ie SX | eBay

SUPPORTO AMMORTIZZATORE ALFA 33 [60569483] / Shock Absorber Top Mount | eBay

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

thanks,
Elvis
The shock absorbers for the 3 bolt set up are no longer available from Alfa Romeo as I found out around 5 months ago. Knowing they were made by Boge, I contacted the parent company ZF in Germany who told me they were still available from any Boge/ZF dealer. I took the part numbers to my local motor spares shop and they got them with 2 days.
The Boge part numbers are 170 478 & 170 479 and are around £130 each (these are for the 16v version but will fit any 3 bolt set up such as the Imola)
Try looking here for the part numbers for your car: WebCat 3 .

Top mounts are still available from Alfa Romeo, I got some a few months ago for around £60 each, part numbers are 60569483 (left), 60577815 (right)

There are a couple on Italian Ebay but only left ones for some reason:

5851 SUPPORTO AMMORTIZZATORE ALFA 33 ie SX | eBay

SUPPORTO AMMORTIZZATORE ALFA 33 [60569483] / Shock Absorber Top Mount | eBay

Hope that helps....[/QUOTE]

Still nothing...!

Does your 16V uses the same conical springs that the Imola uses??? Also can the lower spring pans from the Boges be dismounted from the original shock and can it be modified to fit the KAYABA ones?

Can't find Boge anymore:cry:. Contacted the ZF in Italy and they told me they produce only for motorcycles now!!!!???:confused:

Can the KAYABAs be modified in any way to fit the Imola I have?

LATER:
There is an Italian man who is the owner of a c ar parts shop. I went there, explained to him what I need and he opened his catalog of parts. He said he had them on stock...so I thought that might be the end of suffering...
He brings one of them and when I open the box I see a 33 shock with the same dimension of axle of the shock that I need but without the lower spring pan...does this mean that is not what I'm looking for. Is that the before 1993 shock (in the catalog says for 33 until 1993)

What shocks should I look for, there are there the type with the lower spring pan already on them(without the yellow plastic bearing at the bottom)

I\m very confused at this stage....

Best,
Elvis

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yes the 16v uses the same conical springs as the Imola, the front suspension set up for all later cars is the same except some of the smaller engined cars use a different spring to the 16v, the shape is the same but the spring rating is different.

All of the later cars such as the Imola use the front shocks that come complete with the spring pan and do not have the yellow plastic bearing. I would imagine it would be very difficult to cut off the original spring pan and then attach one from another shock absober. I'm not really sure why you would want to do this anyway because the conical spring produced by H&R is designed specifically to fit the original shock absorber setup. I have the H&R conical springs too and although I haven't fitted them yet, I've had a play around with them and they look as though they will fit fine. You can't fit the front ones incorrectly as they can only go one way up and the indentations in the spring pan and the top mount will ensure that they fit correctly. Don't forget the rubber sleeve that goes on the bottom coil of the spring to protect the spring pan...

The parent company for Boge are ZF and their main offices are in Germany. I dealt with Robert Ducksch who then directed me to the UK offices.
Try emailing Robert: [email protected] who should hopefully direct your enquiry to a representative close to you.
If not you could try contacting Duane Kenny in the UK who may be able to help you: [email protected]
The UK distributor for Boge is Euro Car Parts but you should be able to obtain the shock absorbers from any car parts supplier if you quote the part numbers I provided

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes the 16v uses the same conical springs as the Imola, the front suspension set up for all later cars is the same except some of the smaller engined cars use a different spring to the 16v, the shape is the same but the spring rating is different.

All of the later cars such as the Imola use the front shocks that come complete with the spring pan and do not have the yellow plastic bearing. I would imagine it would be very difficult to cut off the original spring pan and then attach one from another shock absober. I'm not really sure why you would want to do this anyway because the conical spring produced by H&R is designed specifically to fit the original shock absorber setup. I have the H&R conical springs too and although I haven't fitted them yet, I've had a play around with them and they look as though they will fit fine. You can't fit the front ones incorrectly as they can only go one way up and the indentations in the spring pan and the top mount will ensure that they fit correctly. Don't forget the rubber sleeve that goes on the bottom coil of the spring to protect the spring pan...

The parent company for Boge are ZF and their main offices are in Germany. I dealt with Robert Ducksch who then directed me to the UK offices.
Try emailing Robert: [email protected] who should hopefully direct your enquiry to a representative close to you.
If not you could try contacting Duane Kenny in the UK who may be able to help you: [email protected]
The UK distributor for Boge is Euro Car Parts but you should be able to obtain the shock absorbers from any car parts supplier if you quote the part numbers I provided

Ok! I contacted the ZF Hungary by e-mail and they addressed me to 2 different car part shops that operate in here. One of them didn't give me any chance... To the second one, I said I had a talk with ZF in Budapest and they sent me there, so they said they would check for me. They told me they didn't have and they couldn't find them. I insisted giving them the codes you provided to me and told them to do an order from any other Boge or SACHS dealer.:rant: After 2 days of insisting, they decided to deal with me and gave me 2 other codes they say they are for the front 2 Boges I need for my 33 IMOLA.
The codes they gave me are:

32-036A left
32-037A right
as they say this codes correspond to the codes I gave them, just the first part no. were for SACHS and this second ones are for Boge.

CAN SOMEONE MAKE SURE FOR ME, IF THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT THE RIGHT SHOCKS FOR MY 1993 33 IMOLA.
I don't want to end up with the wrong shocks after paying 260 EURO for them. YES that's how much they asked me to pay, so they can do the order, and I have to wait nearly 2 months until they bring them in here.

Please I need as much info as you can about the numbers they gave me and what front shocks they mounted on all 33 Imola version...

Thanks again,
Elvis

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Hi Elvis, a quick cross-reference I made came up with this, hope it can be to some help.

Alfa33 1.4,1.7ie (02.93-94)

Boge
left : 32-037-A
right: 32-036-A

Sachs
left : 170.478
right: 170.477

Wiktory (OSRAV)
left : MG0125
right: MG0124

Dampo (OSRAV)
left : 25.580
right: 25.579

Alfa33 1.7ie 16V (02.93-94)

Boge
left : 32-101-A
right: 32-100-A

Sachs
left : 170.480
right: 170.479

Gabriel
left : G35255
right: G35260

Wiktory (OSRAV)
left : MG0143
right: MG0144

Dampo (OSRAV)
left : 26.213
right: 26.214

It appears that KAYABA has not made any shock absorber for Alfa 33 model year 93-94.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi fellows,

The order is done for:
Boge: 32-037-A & 32-036-A

It will take more than a month for the shocks to come and I can't wait to put my hands on them...:D:D

Anyway the car did pass the Annual Technical Control for this time, but still needs new front shocks and new front top mounts.

Thanks to everyone that helped me with this issue, without the codes you provided would have been impossible to finish this order.:thumbs:

Will let you know when the shocks arrive.

Cheers and best wishes

Elvis

·
Registered
415 Posts
oops looks like I haven't got a pair that are the same, I wrongly assumed that the sequential part numbers would be a pair for the same car but what I've actually got are a right side 16v shock and a left side 8v one.

Anyone want a new left side 8v shock, still in box?

·
Registered
415 Posts
the part numbers you have ordered are correct for your car, unfortunately for me, I ordered one 8v strut and one 16v strut. I'll have to re-order the correct one....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts