Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car two years ago as an insurance cat c write off

Apart from a few scratches around the car the only damage was to the drivers door, in fact the door was missing!!!!

One replacement door later (and a service & cam belts) I had a ph1 back on the road with only 35k miles for not a lot of money

My son took it over a year ago and now it's 55k miles and still good

He parked it in Wells on Friday evening, the roads were very busy, it was carnival night. He'd had a few beers, so walked home. Returning in the morning. Some prat had hit the car and driven off. This time the rear wing is also damaged!!!!

I'm pretty sure the insurance co will write it off, how much is a 15 year old cat C worth? So we'll have to repair it ourselves :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
damn unlucky that's 2 panels and its definate Wright off from insurers point of view, Buy it back and repair if for not very much

darn unfortunate

C

·
0 Posts
Just having a brief look at that, the repair shouldn't be too difficult for DIY or professional, but, yeah probably will be written off if subject to a claim.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Indeed, dont even declare it.

New doors can be had for <£50.

The 1/4 panel is the toughie, as they are triple skinned and often impossible to push out from the inside.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Triple skinning is awkward, BUT, if you remove the interior trim, you'll find a small round hole just behind the main part of the dent. That in turn lines up with another hole in the middle panel. With some carefully fashioned tools ( rounded wooden dowel rod, metal bars bent & flattened at the end ), the worst of that dent can be pushed out from inside the car. You won't get it all out ( especially the creases at the door gap! ), but you will be able to shift enough to allow the use of filler for a relatively inexpensive repair.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh dear a nice evening enjoying the carnival, a few beers and then some numbskull goes and ruins it. Sorry to see that Rich, still as others have said, just mend it - door is the easiest bit just get a s/h silver one. Western Lancia near Exeter have a brilliant welder who could weld on a new part panel - but he 'aint cheap....

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

A friend of Andy (my son) who is a panel beater has estimated £250 to beat out and fill the rear wing and spray + spray and fit a door from our "spares " car.

He thought it easier to spray (inside and out) a blue door rather than repairing the old door

Andy will have to help out on the stripping, prep and finishing!

Hopefully he will also spray the black sills and other odd scratches around the car at the same time !!!!

Sounds like some of Andy's Xmas leave will have to be reserved for this repair - that will keep him out of trouble for a while!

Definitely worth it (to us at least) to keep this car on the road!

Rich ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts