Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

After reading several threads regarding Alfa diag, I want to try and use it on my 2001 156 2.0TS manual (I think it's the older version, as it got a throttle cable). As a start I would like to reset my airbag light which came on while I cleaned the car's interior.

I found this cable on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-KKL-OBD2-...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item3ca48bb9b4

Will it do the job? I understand that some cut and weld need to be done to all cables :confused:
If it's not suitable or there is an alternative which not requires pin-connecting, I would be greatfull for a link.

Regards,
Shay

·
Registered
40,637 Posts
That will do the trick. You need to solder pins 3 and 7 together to access the Airbag ECU and I think pins 3 and 1 for the ABS

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
That will do the trick. You need to solder pins 3 and 7 together to access the Airbag ECU and I think pins 3 and 1 for the ABS
+1 should work ... although be careful, because it's coming from Hong Kong so you might be stung for import duty (and the obligatory "handling fee" from royal mail :rolleyes:)

I think personally I'd go for http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAG-COM-USB-K...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item45ed82a6c8 ... a couple of £ more but at least you know the price you see is the price you pay :thumbs:

G

·
i'm new to all this stuff, am i right in thinking that if i get a cable similar to that and download the software i can connect my 2001 156 2.0ts to a laptop and read/clear the fault codes??

providing i get hold of a laptop that is :lol: can't see me dragging my pc outside :rolleyes: or can it be done wireless :confused:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
i'm new to all this stuff, am i right in thinking that if i get a cable similar to that and download the software i can connect my 2001 156 2.0ts to a laptop and read/clear the fault codes??

providing i get hold of a laptop that is :lol: can't see me dragging my pc outside :rolleyes: or can it be done wireless :confused:

I think I have seen a bluetooth version of the KKL cable ... but then again not many desktop PCs have bluetooth either :lol:

G

·
I think I have seen a bluetooth version of the KKL cable ... but then again not many desktop PCs have bluetooth either :lol:
:confused: me and computers have an understanding. if they work i don't beat the hell out of them :D seem to have to change them fairly regularly :lol: trouble is i understand nothing of how technology all works, haven't even got a camera phone yet :cheese:

guess picking up a cheap laptop will be the best way then ;)

·
Registered
40,637 Posts
You could always get a USB extension cable then run it to the car through a window or something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
so are we correct in thinking the lead is just a lead? as long as its the obd2 lead? just made by different companys?
think i mite but a rarebear one to be safe

·
Registered
40 Posts
the lead i got came with my software .... ive used it with the elm software for my engine managment light. ive just downloaded the fiat ecu scanner software but i want to use the lead that came with my elm software i bought off of ebay just trying to figure out if its the same kind of principle with any lead

G

·
You could always get a USB extension cable then run it to the car through a window or something.
excuse the idiot question, but would that work?? i know the extensions are available pretty short but i can't get within about 20feet of the computer :confused:

feel free to poke fun at me now :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
+1 should work ... although be careful, because it's coming from Hong Kong so you might be stung for import duty (and the obligatory "handling fee" from royal mail :rolleyes:)

I think personally I'd go for http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAG-COM-USB-K...iagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item45ed82a6c8 ... a couple of £ more but at least you know the price you see is the price you pay :thumbs:
I'm not located in the UK, so import costs are the same (i.e. zero in this case :lol:) for me. I guess that all of these cables trace back to the same chinese makers. I would pay more for a quality product or one that won't need soldering, but they all look identical to me (and correct me if I'm wrong).

Shay

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not located in the UK, so import costs are the same (i.e. zero in this case :lol:) for me. I guess that all of these cables trace back to the same chinese makers. I would pay more for a quality product or one that won't need soldering, but they all look identical to me (and correct me if I'm wrong).

Shay
There's a member on here called rarebear that does a nifty bit of soldering on your behalf, although personally, I'd buy (and have) a normal KKL OBD2 cable off ebay for about £10 and solder it yourself, bridge pin 7 to 3 for the Airbag stuff, and another from 7 to 1 for ABS. Saves you £25 on buying a modded cable from someone else, its really no hassle to do yourself.

Download FiatECUScan too for those who want to do simple stuff like resetting the Airbag light, KWP71Diag can do it too, but it's not so user friendly.

DT

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
soldering yourself is a good option providing you know what you're doing, overheating can blow the
chips on the board... (been there done that) I always test the cables on my own car before sending them off to AO members.. and I always pay back the money if not satisfied (sofar no one)

p.s. do not use the Alfa modified cable for other makes and software !!!
and notice that the Ebay offers do not include Alfa Romeo as supported vehicles

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
excuse the idiot question, but would that work?? i know the extensions are available pretty short but i can't get within about 20feet of the computer :confused:

feel free to poke fun at me now :lol:

Careful with the USB Extensions. I found that I couldn't get a reliable connection with one of my 1M extension no-names, but with my good band 9 foot I could. Point is cable quality is important as to is the quality of the main board of the PC.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's a member on here called rarebear that does a nifty bit of soldering on your behalf, although personally, I'd buy (and have) a normal KKL OBD2 cable off ebay for about £10 and solder it yourself, bridge pin 7 to 3 for the Airbag stuff, and another from 7 to 1 for ABS. Saves you £25 on buying a modded cable from someone else, its really no hassle to do yourself.

DT
Does pin 7 need to be connected to BOTH 1 and 3 at all times or do I need to switch the bridge any time I want to access each of the systems?
What is the best way to bridge the cable? opening the connector or locating and bridging the wires in the middle of the loom?
A photo of a soldered cable will be nice addition here :thumbs:

Shay

1 - 20 of 22 Posts