Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 159 is LHD and has a stain of what looks like some kind of oil on the offside front wheel arch behind the wheel.

In the last couple of days the steering sounds a bit wheezy turning from side to side when stationary or moving away slowly. Can't hear it when driving normally though.

It is not a groan more of a wheeze/whirring sound

All fluids are full as far as I can ascertain, oil, power steering and brake/clutch

Anyone had something similar? Was it catastrophic or could I get lucky and find it's nothing major??

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You sure its not the normal condensate from the AC system - i.e water.
Not a clue tbh. Would that account for a noise around the boss of the steering wheel when turning it at stationary? Be more than delighted if it is :)

Or are you commenting on the 4 inch by about 6 inch dark patch on the wheel liner? Would that not disappear over a couple of hours of non use in hot weather?

As it's a lhd car the steering wheel is on the other side to the mark on the liner but on the same side as the power steering fluid bottle. The two issues may be unrelated I guess

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For those that care or get similar symptons, I took the car to a local dealer in SW France this morning and the patch on the wheel arch liner is a small leak from the steering rack. The slight noise that appears to be coming from the steering wheel boss area is a result of this apparently. It seems that I caught this very early but left it could have resulted in the power steering going. Had a lengthy discussion in poor French about replacing the steering fluid and insisted on green, the mechanic argued with me about it and insisted it should be red but eventually went to check when he got bored of arguing with this Roast Beef Englishman and came back agreeing that it definitely should be green....

Upshot is I need a new steering rack. I have been in denial, but my car is a dog, had so much done that I'll have to stick with it BUT if I think about what I would replace it with for sensible money nothing at all comes to mind. I still love it even though it is like an expensive kept woman

Onwards and upwards

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 159 is LHD and has a stain of what looks like some kind of oil on the offside front wheel arch behind the wheel.

In the last couple of days the steering sounds a bit wheezy turning from side to side when stationary or moving away slowly. Can't hear it when driving normally though.

It is not a groan more of a wheeze/whirring sound

All fluids are full as far as I can ascertain, oil, power steering and brake/clutch

Anyone had something similar? Was it catastrophic or could I get lucky and find it's nothing major??
Hi Muz, had the same problem recently with my Brera. It dumped all the red fluid from the rack over the road. Had to get the AA to transport me back to home. Replaced the rack, bought on e-bay from On Track Steering in Cornwall, cost £399.00, also replaced the P/Steering reservoir and filled with green fluid. I am very pleased with the result. The rack is new and guaranteed for 12mths. :) quoroboros

1 - 5 of 5 Posts