Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've recently (Sunday) advertised my GT for sale in autotrader. Got an email this morning from a potential buyer saying that it's just the car that they are looking for and would like to arrange a viewing this weekend. However, they have asked for the VIN number and scanned copy of the V5 Logbook so that they can do the necessary checks - the person claims to live quite far away so wants to do the checks before they view the vehicle. The only detail about themselves that they have left is their first name, Their email address does look a little odd too - certainly not a provider I recognise. With all the scams that are going round I'm not keen on sending a scanned copy of the V5. Am I just being paranoid??
Cheers Chunks

·
Registered
59 Posts
IMO a serious buyer would leave more details like his full name and telephone number. Just leave it, their will be other buyers.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Personally as a buyer thats the sort of info I'd want ...

Why don't you try to get a snail mail address from them to post a copy of the V5 to as you dont have a scanner - a black and white copy with COPY or something written over it would be enough to give you some protection?

Of course they then know your address and what car you have?

as for e-mail addresses - mine is a .co.uk - with our family name as the domain....

Believe me - these days a little paranoia is healthy

Edit - I've had someone ring up with a blocked number and a name before, they are also concerned about their privacy, we met at our house I had a friend sat in the house and left the keys in the house while going to meet and initially show them the car...

Simes.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I'd have a look on DVLAs web site, I don't know what mischief someone with your details could get away with, but I don't think posession of someone elses VIN is any use. I'd think twice about releasing a copy of the document with my address and other details all over it. Check whether this is necessary for every HPI. I reckon it pays to be suspicious and guard personal details like the prov Rotweiler - and its Krufts week!

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Personally I tell them to naff off !! :(

They'll have all the info they need to clone your car once you give them the info dude !!

As Simes has suggested... I'd go for the snail mail approach !! :)

N

·
0 Posts
Are you really desperate to sell?
No other bites? :confused:

If you really want to suss out the sale,
ask them for a scan of their Driver's Licence.

Then as, Simes said, sent them a b&w copy with
"COPY" plastered all over it.

:)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your advice.

I have heard quite a few horror stories about cars being cloned, hence my air of caution. It's a difficult one as I would want quite a bit of information on a vehicle before I bought it. I'll try and get more info from them and ask for a mailing address!

F

·
0 Posts
I would be wary of this. I just bought a car through Autotrader and they offer a vehicle check facility from their website (you have to pay £25). All you need to initiate this search is the reg number, you do not need the VIN or anything like that. If you submit the VIN number to Autotrader within 14 days of running the check then you get free insurance if the info that the vehicle check process provided turns out to be wrong. No scan of any documents needed.

So bottom line is all they need to run a full check is the reg number - once they come to see the car they can get the additional info needed for the insurance that Autotrader offer. I suggest you read the vehicle check section on the Autotrader site and quote this back to them in your response. If that doesn't satisfy them, it's a scam.

I used this facility and it provides all the info you would need from just the reg no.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Thats right, you only need a reg number for an HPI check. I'd be concerned that this person is collecting details to use in another scam of some sort.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I third what Ferryman and Rockhopper have said, you only need the reg. number for vehicle history checks. You can prove its the car you say it is when they come to view it by obviously matching the numbers on the V5 with those on the car. No need whatsoever to be giving out a copy of your V5.

A close friend of mine is currently trying to sell his Celica T-Sport and has had more than one suspicious enquiry asking for more details than are necessary, and one offering to buy it without viewing providing he could drop it off at a particular dock in a couple of days! In these instances, he's invited the enquirers to view the car at his work (an RAF base) and they have backed off, one even hanging up.

There is no need to give out more details than are necessary, if someone is genuinely interested in the car they should happily meet your terms of info. sharing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts