Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a remote key code?

FF.17.G.19

We have a 1999 GTV my son bought which turned out to be a new import from Germany with no code for the remote, or docs. Just one very precious combined remote door key.

We got a duplicate chipped door key from Timpson's OK and put the remote key in a safe place but had given up on replicating the remote, having tried Alfa help in Italy, Germany and UK.

Yesterday he noticed that the box of wheel nuts in the boot contained a small self adhesive cable claiming to be a keycode. Is that what is needed to create a spare remote key?

Thanks for any help,

Brian:p

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
The code for the alarm remote should be on a RED plastic card. The code you refer to is most probably the code for a replacement wheel lock tool. To get a replacement fob you will need this code card. Otherwise you need to remove the alarm unit, and have the code read from the unit.

·
Registered
2003 Spider 3.0 V6 24v Lightning Blu
2,281 Posts
Apologies for hijacking your thread, but how does one have the code read from the alarm unit??? My remote fob hasnt worked for ages and the local stealer says the only way to fix it is buying a new receiver, if I dont have the code.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apologies for hijacking your thread, but how does one have the code read from the alarm unit??? My remote fob hasnt worked for ages and the local stealer says the only way to fix it is buying a new receiver, if I dont have the code.
The stealer Allams of Epsom have offered me a service claiming they can do it but they have to programme two keys at £45 each plus labour, £150+VAT altogether.

One thing is clear, the manufacturer should keep all this info, and provide it to a registered owner when asked for a nominal fee. To secure a car it sells with technology they can't unlock themselves and the only record a very losable plastic card is a complete dereliction of their responsibility.

No computer based system works this way, a SYSOP can always override the security or provide new authentication details to a verified user.

Half the problem is its craft training the dealers don't understand, just repeat what they think they are told, the other half is the manufacturer 's reneging on its reponsibilities to customers and the trade. Its not only Alfa.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts