Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shurely Shome Mishtake Shurely? - Alfa Romeo Images

I recently had a new selespeed pump fitted, and last night the selespeed indicator started flashing at me. So I took it to Alfa workshop to test whether it happened often, and it did, ususally when it was below 2,500rpm. I presumed that this was gearbox saying "Silly boy, I've not got enough revs for third, drop me down to second till we reach 35, there's a good chap."
It was a similar issue with fifth, a gear I rarely use anyway, not enough revs for the right gear.
Anyway, booked it in at the alfa workshop for a calibration and diag. Thought I'd drop by the Alfa dealer in Cambridge for some fluids, just in case. Engine hits 90 degrees in traffic, and then the gearbox starts slipping into neutral. Second to third is a yawning chasm of time. (2 seconds+)
Upon discovering that the alfa dealer is no more, i open the bonnet to discover that the once annoying bit of tubing that made checking the selespeed oil level somewhat tricky, has now vanished from the face of the earth - or so I thought.

Then it wouldn't restart, but after resetting the central locking a few times (?), it was capable of movement. It didn't slip into neutral, but that was mainly because I kept it in fourth or second (even though other gears "existed") to be on the safe side. With more air flowing through the car it seemed ok, although second to third still took an ice age or two.

Get it home to see whether the tube had simpy fallen off, or was dangling somewhere... saw nothing.

Anyway, putting the jack back in the boot (badly), I discovered a familiar piece of black tubing...

HE CAN'T HAVE FORGOTTEN TO PUT IT BACK ON, COULD HE? COULD HE?

Just so I'm not going completely bananas, that image is wrong and there's supposed to be a tube going from the selespeed reservoir to the selespeed pump/gearbox?

This might explain the issues I'm having with the gearbox; the lack of pressure (to say the least) leading to gear selection issues? The way that when it overheated, the gearbox said "testicles to that, I'm going for a nap"?

Good job I'm an amiable sort.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
thats an over flow pipe/connection.

·
Registered
30,019 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
It is just a breather tube.
It just leads from the cap to open air in the wheelarch.

It being missing won't be causing your problems.
Agreed, its just an overflow pipe. On some photos I have seen it connected up to a container to collect the overflow oil ( non standard).
It will not be causing the problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts