Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying 2.4 JTD, are there any big issues to look for?

I heard they can bottom out and sump gets it, would have thought that be on sports model though!
Is water pump a problem? The cam belt has been done and its on 58K.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
obviously check the cambelt has been done regularily clonk from anti roll bar excessive smoke could be split hose if you can start the car from cold if any belt noise it could be the aux tensioner make sure it goes well they are a pretty quick car if its sluggish it could need egr cleaning out or a maf sensor

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a 2.4 jtd 2002 veloce . Look underneath the car , check the floor pan (make sure its clean) Check the cam belt and change 50/55k or 5years for peace of mind. The trailing arm bushes tend to wear out quickly if you can put in polieurothane (powerflex) bushes as they are stronger but make sure you grease them up properly before putting them in. Thats all i know thats happend to me and luckly i have had no other problems. hope that helps you.:). Another thing when you change the cam belt its a good idea to change the water pump at the same time, as i have been told that these fail after the cambelt has been done. Its something to do with the pressure being taken of the water pump bearing when the belt is removed that knackers up the pump.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found out he has changed the cam belt himself as he was a mechanic but he didn't change the water pump!
Another thing it's a class C write off recorded by DVLA and is meant to be reparable and because he was mechanic he bought it back off insurance and fixed it with new bonnet, slam panel and windscreen. The thing is don't you have to tell DVLA its been repaired and back on road and roadworthy!
It's market valued at £2300 if bought at dealers, what you reckon it should cost as private sale? It has 58K original miles.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I found out he has changed the cam belt himself as he was a mechanic but he didn't change the water pump!
Another thing it's a class C write off recorded by DVLA and is meant to be reparable and because he was mechanic he bought it back off insurance and fixed it with new bonnet, slam panel and windscreen. The thing is don't you have to tell DVLA its been repaired and back on road and roadworthy!
It's market valued at £2300 if bought at dealers, what you reckon it should cost as private sale? It has 58K original miles.
What year? What spec? Colour, leather etc etc.

·
Registered
421 Posts
To get a good view of what to look out for, you need to say which version you are going for.
Each has it's own "look out for points".

The general 156 issues mentioned in previous replies are totally relevant but for specific issues you need to supply details.

Cat C £1500 Max.

Bought a Cat D for £900. Passed an MOT without doing anything to it.... Have since spent around £1k on bits (panels, wheels, interiors) tools etc and have now found out AC has leaks.... Another arm and leg vanishing into the distance............... Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it's a 156 in metallic green, but there are three different types of green :rolleyes:
It has new MAF and crank sensor, he also has momo leather seats ready to fit in.
Looks like its a risk with water pump not been changed though!
V plate on 99.

·
Registered
421 Posts
£2.3k for a '99. No way.

As I said CAT D... 2001 93k miles, £900. Colour is immaterial, except if you need to buy secondhand body panels. Green hard to find.

Although mileage is low for age, it's still a Cat C. What are they asking for cash wise???

Water pumps on earlier model are not same problem as 20v later models. Links on top of Forum explain issues.
Have another 1999 model (110K miles) that has not had water pump change but is fine. I'll get it done on next cambelt change in next 10k miles.

Go to Autotrader and find out how much cars of that age are asking. Then reduce by at least 50% as it's a Cat C

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
£2.3k for a '99. No way.

As I said CAT D... 2001 93k miles, £900. Colour is immaterial, except if you need to buy secondhand body panels. Green hard to find.

Although mileage is low for age, it's still a Cat C. What are they asking for cash wise???

Water pumps on earlier model are not same problem as 20v later models. Links on top of Forum explain issues.
Have another 1999 model (110K miles) that has not had water pump change but is fine. I'll get it done on next cambelt change in next 10k miles.

Go to Autotrader and find out how much cars of that age are asking. Then reduce by at least 50% as it's a Cat C
I think the price must be quoted from main dealers as £2300 seem a lot, an independent dealer price is quoted at £1350 with average miles 90K

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
dont know about half but you know it has had a crash i wouldnt pay anything like book price for a cat c car
the damage must have been significant for it to have been an uneconomical repair

1 - 20 of 25 Posts