Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 166 is an automatic - I've never driven an auto in the snow/ice before. Is there anything I should watch out for?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've not driven a fwd auto on ice but rwd can tend to push you forward when trying to stop at polished junctions, made worse if the tickover is up a little because the engine is cold. Sometimes makes life easier if you approach in N, though very much down to the individual cars.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you :thumbs: I'm just a bit nervous - I will be doing a long drive on ungritted roads over a mountain on Tuesday and again very early on Friday morning and I'd rather be prepared.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) thank you. I don't want to chicken out and go the main road, partly because it's a lot longer but also because, well, I always go the back way and I don't want to change my driving pattern just because I have an automatic, you know?

·
Registered
674 Posts
If anything, for most drivers, autos are better than manuals in the snow. You can let the 'engine creep' get you moving then gently apply the throttle and you'll be away.

I seem to remember the 166 has an ice mode, use that too.

I remember once getting snowed-in when at the in-laws who then lived at the bottom of a hill. I knew once I got up the hill and onto the main road it would be plain sailing but the 164 (with auto box) just couldn't get its summer tyres to grip at all on the snow, no matter how gently I applied throttle. I couldn't wait for the snow to melt as I had a ferry to catch.

I turned the car around and managed to reverse up the hill. Going at it that way put more weight over the driven wheels and it was just enough to grip. Luckily it was a short hill, I wouldn't like to have driven the rest of the journey in reverse :)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If anything, for most drivers, autos are better than manuals in the snow. You can let the 'engine creep' get you moving then gently apply the throttle and you'll be away.

I seem to remember the 166 has an ice mode, use that too.

I remember once getting snowed-in when at the in-laws who then lived at the bottom of a hill. I knew once I got up the hill and onto the main road it would be plain sailing but the 164 (with auto box) just couldn't get its summer tyres to grip at all on the snow, no matter how gently I applied throttle. I couldn't wait for the snow to melt as I had a ferry to catch.

I turned the car around and managed to reverse up the hill. Going at it that way put more weight over the driven wheels and it was just enough to grip. Luckily it was a short hill, I wouldn't like to have driven the rest of the journey in reverse :)
Thank you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In my experience, the biggest hazard when driving in snow is fellow motorists in their "ultimate driving machines" pirouetting down the road. :lol:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of people like my father who insists he needs a 4x4 to transport him, my mother and 2 wee dogs. He really doesn't know what he's doing with a 4x4 but believes he is a better driver than anyone else on the road?

·
Registered
873 Posts
We have an auto 166 3.0 and it's fine in snow. I just use less throttle and, as commented above, let it creep as much as I can.

People criticise the weight of the V6 in the nose but it does have advantages, traction in snow being the main one!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have an auto 166 3.0 and it's fine in snow. I just use less throttle and, as commented above, let it creep as much as I can.

People criticise the weight of the V6 in the nose but it does have advantages, traction in snow being the main one!
Thank you! I have to be out of here by 7.30 on Friday morning to go to uni and it's a long way before I hit a gritted road.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
7,250 Posts
"Is there anything I need to watch out for in snow/ice?"

Yes, people with snow chains on the front of their rear wheel drive cars!

G

·
Not sure of the ZF auto in the 166 but you can in the 156 Q-system
The "ice" button is excellent. It only selects the top three gears and dumb's down the throttle response... If you don't have this facility

Snow driving 101....

Put it into manual mode

Select 2nd or 3rd when pulling away and treat the throttle like a land mine, pressing it gently.

16 times the distance between the car in front on untreated roads.
Snow driving is basically doing the opposite of what you would do in the dry;)

Let the engine labour in a high gear going up hill and you won't slip or wheel spin at all. Keep the momentum going by looking and planning ahead and you will get up the steepest inclines where others fail.

Select a low gear going down hill and let the engine and gearbox do your braking, don't be tempted to press the brake until you are in first gear and slowed down considerably and coming to rest... It will give you total control with the ability to steer at all times without sliding into an under steer, again... Forward planning.

Got stuck on an incline?
Turn the car round and reverse up the hill slowly when it is safe to do so....
Forward gears are Helical and prone to slip, reverse is straight cut (thus the whine)... It means that all the torque at low revs can be transmitted through the box so you don't slip. Plus all the weight with gravity and the engine is on the front wheels now with maximum traction... The normal wear of a tyre treads means the front of the tread pattern blocks get scuffed, in reverse it is sharper and fresher so bites into the snow better ...Just let the car creep up... Trust me, it works when all else fails:thumbs:

You are now a snow driving expert:D

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Forward gears are Helical and prone to slip, reverse is straight cut (thus the whine)... It means that all the torque at low revs can be transmitted through the box so you don't slip.
Sorry, but it just isn't so. Helical gears can transmit their design torque just as effectively as straight-cut gears - they don't "slip".

The reason for reversing up a slope in a front wheel drive is to get more weight on the driven wheels; however, if you can't move forwards you may have some difficulty in turning round.

There is a, now less commonly-held, belief that cars climb steep hills better (in normal conditions) in reverse than in first gear which dates back to the Model Y Ford. The Model T's tramsission used band clutches to transmit the drive. When the car had covered a high mileage the slow speed (first gear) band could be worn enough to slip on steep inclines while the less-used reverse band would still be able transmit enough power to get up the hill.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
The reason for reversing up a slope in a front wheel drive is to get more weight on the driven wheels; however, if you can't move forwards you may have some difficulty in turning round.

There is a, now less commonly-held, belief that cars climb steep hills better (in normal conditions) in reverse than in first gear which dates back to the Model Y Ford. The Model T's tramsission used band clutches to transmit the drive. When the car had covered a high mileage the slow speed (first gear) band could be worn enough to slip on steep inclines while the less-used reverse band would still be able transmit enough power to get up the hill.
Many many years ago an uncle who had emigrated to Canada came back to the UK for a visit in winter and had a hire car. It snowed, so knowing he needed to get up a couple of steep hills to visit his dad he dumped a load of weight in the boot of the car.......unfortunately he didn't realise that it was a front wheel drive! Oooops!

Many years before that the same uncle who then lived in England with his family was on holiday in the Lake District driving I know not what. Anyhow, it must have been pretty low powered as he found he couldn't get up the Honister Pass even in 1st gear......but he could in reverse (lower gear) so he reversed up......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts