Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
There's a lot wrong with F1, but after the idiocy of the first lap, I thought we actually had a good race today with relatively closely matched competitors trying a variety of strategies to gain an edge......

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
I can't find any enjoyment in it these days I must admit. I find touring cars similarly joyless too. I suppose it's a bit odd given that in the late 80s and early 90s I hardly missed a race but I don't feel like I'm missing much. We took the dog for a walk in the sunshine yesterday.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
F1 is Totally soulless. If anybody is a real motorsport fan, they would get far more excitement standing on the banks of most tracks on club racing days, where you can afford to get in, often visit the pits, get real thrills & spills with seat of their pants racing.
HSCC meets are great.

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
I still enjoy it, even the worst F1 race is still better than NASCAR :lol:

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I enjoy it on and off. I only watch F1 because Ferrari take part. If they didn't then I would completely stop watching it from that point on.
I never watched a single race from start to finish before 2005.
In the mid to late 80's I watched the RAC rally. I used to got to see a few stages and usually in some Welsh outback :p

I bought an Opel Manta because I liked rallying. I watched F1 because I bought (in 2004) a Mondial (and a friend a Ferrari in F1, book).

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
The only thing more boring than watching F1 on telly is watching it for real. And then sitting in traffic waiting to get out of the car park. Note to any suppliers offering me tickets: chopper only, and you'll find me in the lunch venue rather than the stand.

I was moderately enthusiastic about it back in the day when Mansell was driving, but that is about it. Not sure if it was more interesting then, or that I have just found other things to do.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Grand Prix racing changes, but it's always been surrounded by politics and controversy, and people have always said it's not as good as it used to be. People whinged about the first GP in 1906 because the rules restricted car speeds and they used a circuit where you boringly went round several times instead of driving city to city.

I loved it in the fifties and still do. Look past all the DRS, joke tyres and ludo board circuits, and it's still good racing with exciting cars and brilliant drivers. I agree with Headgasket about club racing, though - great to watch, especially something like Formula Ford. Also what's great is to follow young drivers in karting or lower formula single seaters, then see a few of them rise to the top.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
One of the best races I ever watched was a 2CV race at Brands. A real test of driving skill because if you get your line wrong you drop from 2nd to nowhere and then spend the next two or three laps trying to catch up. Then seeing four of them door handle to door handle approaching Paddock Hill wondering who'll blink first is quite something. In practice I saw the nearest to a roll - again approaching Paddock Hill one of them got it wrong and ended up going sideways to the kitty litter. He had just enough momentum for the gravel to stop the slide at the lower end but the roof kept going, result, a very slow topple onto its side. No significant damage and the marshalls righted the car and he was off again in no time.

·
Registered
11,699 Posts
Just watched the latest Top Gear Extra on BBC3 with Eddie Jordan proudly explaining how great F1 is at flouting and circumventing its own rules. Cheating..? ..not if the 'stupid' rules didn't explicitly rule out cheating. The sporting spirit ?....no, winning is all that matters, apparently.
This self-satisfied, over privileged toad epitomises much of what is wrong with the world today.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I'm not a fan of Eddie Jordan. He seems to have too much of an opinion. However Chris, I took it more like the teams looks for a way to get one over the other teams by working within the parameters albeit finding something not covered by them.
I understand F1 has always been like that. Mostly not cheating, though it turns out some have in the past with extra fuel tanks etc.

All that said I'm watching it less. I recorded Monaco but it's still sat there unwatched and unlikely to be watched.

·
Registered
35,746 Posts
According to somebody I know who used to work in F1 ; what other industry brings you into contact with so many influential politicians, business people etc whilst transporting money and expensive things around the world?
Oh and there's a race to watch too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts