Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
On a more serious note, of course there are none, doh.
All Alfa Romeos are made in Italy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read it on wikipedia, one of the assembly place for the 156 is in Rayong,Thailand. Since I'm living in Malaysia,a bit scared though

A

·
0 Posts
Wiki is wrong, since anyone can write stuff on it.
Alfa Romeo does not have any plants outside Italy.

·
Registered
30,092 Posts
Wiki is wrong, since anyone can write stuff on it.
Alfa Romeo does not have any plants outside Italy.
There was an assembly plant for 156 in Thailand for the local market, but I think it closed before the GTA was introduced.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just to let you know, Alfa 156 were ASSEMBLED (NOT MANUFACTURED) in Thailand, yes Rayong (3hrs south of Bangkok), Industrial Park (known as Detroit of Asia). These were exclusively for the Asia market not as far south as Australia but included Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia etc. It was a means of using free trade agreements/low labour cost to get product cheaper into those countries.

They are called CKD (Complete Knock Down) and put together out of a box from Italy. This was not done in a seperate plant but contracted to GM Thailand (they make the GM Zafira badged as Opel, Chevolet, Holden and Subaru...yes Subaru).

I know because I was there around 2001 having discussions with GM Thailand re work matters and it was mentioned. I will dig into my archives to see if I have any more facts on this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts