Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I'm running Continental ContiSport Contact tires on my 147, 245/45/17 in the front, and 245/50/17 in the back. The tire is pretty wide and I'm wondering if there are any big downsides to running a wider than usual tire. Obviously, other than the poorer turning radius.

Also, are "Sportiva" or "GoodYear" tires any good?

245/45/17 sportivas are 80€ a piece and the GoodYear Eagle F1s Assymetric 2 are 85€, despite being "only" 225/45.

I'd rather get the wider ones because I prefer the looks. If I can, I'd put even wider tires, if there aren't any major downsides other than being more expensive, possibly getting worse mileage.

Sorry for the dumb post.

Edit: A lot of "Tracmaxx" tires keep popping up, and are only 50€ per piece. I'm guessing these are probably very bad. I don't usually drive very fast, but I'd like my car to be stable and not dance around, like it did in a heavy rain two months ago. Almost lost control twice. Friend said it's because the tires are wide, but it could also be because they should be changed soon.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
sorry im not hot on tyres . but i am surprised you got 245's on wished i knew 245's would fit before i bought my new ones i would have got some i got 235 x 40 x 18 instead
but mines for the drag track

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Are you really running 245/50R17 ....???
They are 52mm bigger in diameter than the std 215/45R17.!!!

FAR too big.

·
Registered
318 Posts
A 245 tyre on what I'd guess is a 7" wheel is very over-tyred
The overall height, especially on the back must be huge

Goodyear make decent tyres in my opinion, particularly F1 Asymetric

·
Registered
446 Posts
wider tyres are more prone to aquaplaning but you've already found that out. Different diameter tyres front and back will mess up the ASR and Anti-lock braking module, not good in a car already more prone to aquaplaning, oh forgot you've already found that out. Cheap tyres are cheap either because they are made from cheap materials or made in a country with very low unskilled labour costs. . . .or both.
tyre width shouldn't affect your turning circle a huge amount if at all unless they're so wide they rub on the wheel arches and restrict the lateral wheel pivot before that point was reached however I think they'd rub against the shocks but nobody'd be dumb enough to run tyres that wide. surely.

Hi Sye, I've found Asymetric directional tyres are prone to strange wear patterns on my GT but neither pair were Goodyears I hasten to add

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
wider tyres are more prone to aquaplaning but you've already found that out. Different diameter tyres front and back will mess up the ASR and Anti-lock braking module, not good in a car already more prone to aquaplaning, oh forgot you've already found that out. Cheap tyres are cheap either because they are made from cheap materials or made in a country with very low unskilled labour costs. . . .or both.
tyre width shouldn't affect your turning circle a huge amount if at all unless they're so wide they rub on the wheel arches and restrict the lateral wheel pivot before that point was reached however I think they'd rub against the shocks but nobody'd be dumb enough to run tyres that wide. surely.

Hi Sye, I've found Asymetric directional tyres are prone to strange wear patterns on my GT but neither pair were Goodyears I hasten to add
The ASR and ABS are, indeed, messed up and they turn on whenever I brake harder or start a bit too fast. And when I bought the car, it had 245/45s in front and 50s in the back. They're not rubbing on the wheel arches, but they did when the car was lowered. The F1 Asy3's are 225/45, and I'm probably going to get those. Is a lower profile, like 40 for example, going to benefit the car in any way other than looks? Will it mess up the speedo much?

A 245 tyre on what I'd guess is a 7" wheel is very over-tyred
The overall height, especially on the back must be huge

Goodyear make decent tyres in my opinion, particularly F1 Asymetric
Looked at some reviews for the F1 Asy 3's and they got some pretty good reviews! Thinking of getting those when it's time for replacing. They're 225/45 so I guess they're closer to what Alfa has originally planned for it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you really running 245/50R17 ....???
They are 52mm bigger in diameter than the std 215/45R17.!!!

FAR too big.
Yeah, I actually am! They came with the car and they look great. Didn't have any problems other than the hydroplaning once.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
sorry im not hot on tyres . but i am surprised you got 245's on wished i knew 245's would fit before i bought my new ones i would have got some i got 235 x 40 x 18 instead
but mines for the drag track
Well, they came with the car. I'm surprised by what the other guys are saying, tho. 245 is only 30mm (3 cm) wider, which when you think about it, doesn't sound that much bigger. It doesn't seem like it would be such a big deal. However, the car does tramline A LOT, and the fact that our roads are crap doesn't help at all. It just follows all the ridges etc. Well, too bad. I guess I'll have to get 215s or 225s, even though I love the way the wide tires look, and it's great at cornering.

Would fitting 245/40 balance it out?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoops, Ive no idea why I was sure I had 245s, they are 225/45 front and /50 back.

Will change to 225/45s before next summer. Does anyone have any specific brand to recommend? Our roads here are pretty **** and there are tons of potholes and ridges, so Id be happy as hell with a tire thats more comfortable.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
Whoops, Ive no idea why I was sure I had 245s, they are 225/45 front and /50 back.

Will change to 225/45s before next summer. Does anyone have any specific brand to recommend? Our roads here are pretty **** and there are tons of potholes and ridges, so Id be happy as hell with a tire thats more comfortable.
That is a bit better!!
225/50R17 are still 23mm bigger in diameter than the 225/45R17 you have on the front.
147 are tight on arch clearance on the back too, so you may still have issues with 225/45R17.

The Goodyear Asy 3 (and the Asy 2 before it) always get good reviews so are a safe bet.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts

I guess it will depend what your Bosnian tyre dealers can get but Sportiva and Traxmaxx should budget and probably best to avoid. Goodyear, Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli .. all top quality brands. Falken, Kumho .. good.

The lower the price, generally the worse they will handle or last. Got a friend in Cyprus with a Mitsubishi pickup and very low-profile tyres .. he spends more time at the tyre fitters replacing them that driving I think .. too low and the sidewalls fail on poor roads.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a bit better!!
225/50R17 are still 23mm bigger in diameter than the 225/45R17 you have on the front.
147 are tight on arch clearance on the back too, so you may still have issues with 225/45R17.

The Goodyear Asy 3 (and the Asy 2 before it) always get good reviews so are a safe bet.
So I should either get 215/45R17 or perhaps 225/40R17? I don't want to have different profile tires because the ASR is acting up enough as it is. The Asy3s are a bit expensive but nothing too crazy, 85€ or so but I see they're receiving only the best reviews. Also, what do you mean by "tight on arch clearance"? I never scrape on the back and it's low on the back. Nothing scrapes or anything. The front used to scrape before, but I mistakenly got normal springs for the front so the front is standard high, didn't replace the back.

I guess it will depend what your Bosnian tyre dealers can get but Sportiva and Traxmaxx should budget and probably best to avoid. Goodyear, Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli .. all top quality brands. Falken, Kumho .. good.

The lower the price, generally the worse they will handle or last. Got a friend in Cyprus with a Mitsubishi pickup and very low-profile tyres .. he spends more time at the tyre fitters replacing them that driving I think .. too low and the sidewalls fail on poor roads.
Well, surprisingly, the dealers have a nice stock of brands. I'm thinking either Goodyear F1 Eagle Asy3s or Michelin Pilot Sport 2s. Both are around the same price mark, and both of them got around the same results.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yorkshirekeith;. Hi Sye said:
Hi
I can't really comment on anything other than the Goodyears, but my feeling is that an asymetric trye would not in itself lead to unique wear patterns. As is so often the case, there are many factors that can create uneven wear but I wouldn't put an asymetric tread pattern down as one of them.
Honestly not experienced anything strange with the Goodyears

·
Registered
318 Posts
So I should either get 215/45R17 or perhaps 225/40R17? I don't want to have different profile tires because the ASR is acting up enough as it is. The Asy3s are a bit expensive but nothing too crazy, 85€ or so but I see they're receiving only the best reviews. Also, what do you mean by "tight on arch clearance"? I never scrape on the back and it's low on the back. Nothing scrapes or anything. The front used to scrape before, but I mistakenly got normal springs for the front so the front is standard high, didn't replace the back.

Well, surprisingly, the dealers have a nice stock of brands. I'm thinking either Goodyear F1 Eagle Asy3s or Michelin Pilot Sport 2s. Both are around the same price mark, and both of them got around the same results.
Either of the choices mentioned are considered very good. Combined with ensuring the correct size is fitted, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I have had both of these tyres and would happily buy both of them again

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Either of the choices mentioned are considered very good. Combined with ensuring the correct size is fitted, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I have had both of these tyres and would happily buy both of them again
Now it's all a matter of which ones look better, I guess! :p Thanks for the help!

I think that the correct tyre size on 17s is 225/45 for some and 215/45 for others.
Manual says 215/45, and the wheels are SuperSport. I checked the width and it's apparently 7" according to an eBay seller. Upon searching and using some calculator, it said that 215/45 is the optimal and 225/45 is the maximum that will fit without problems, I guess. But I've been using them since I got the car a year ago and they do fit, but they're probably the main reason why my suspension is so messed up. That, and potholes. Switching to 16" wheels would be the sensible option, but then again I'd just drive a Golf if I wanted to be sensible.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
If you've had no clearance issues with 225/45R17, then I think I'd stick with those front & rear.
They are a more common size than 215/45R17, so often cost less despite being bigger.
They are also slightly taller, so slightly more pothole friendly.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The 225/45R17 is one of the standard sizes for the GTA. Admittedly, the GTA has slightly wider wheelarches, but this is only on the outside, not where you'd usually have issues with rubbing. The GTA is also lowered slightly, so on a standard 147 the 225/45R17 tyres should fit fine.

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
The 225/45R17 is one of the standard sizes for the GTA. Admittedly, the GTA has slightly wider wheelarches, but this is only on the outside, not where you'd usually have issues with rubbing.
The GTA also has different offset wheels.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
The "standard" 147/156/GT wheels have a 40mm offset, the 17 inch GTA teledials have a 35mm offset and the 18 inch jetfins have a 32mm offset, right?

So if a 225/45R17 fits on a GTA, fitting a 225/45R17 on a "normal" wheel would bring the wheel 5mm closer to the inside of the wheel-arch, not so?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts