Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Have a 156 GTA 2003 model that I only a key. My local Alfa dealer should have about £ 650 for the new key.

Vacationing in France and shopping key at an Alfa dealer and paying £ 300. Only programming the remote control was needed. The key itself works with I not unlocking GTA with the remote control itself and starting the car (which is before programming)

Deliver GTA to my local Alfa dealer for programming the remote and start-blocking (or whatever it is called).

They got Code cards that have two code, Electronic code with 5 digits and Mechanical code with 7 letters / digits.

I get GTA at the workshop I was told that they still need a code for the remote to be able to lock and unlock the doors? Was told they had contacted Alfa in Italy to get that code.

Is that right?

Any tips?

Regards
Arne

·
Registered
366 Posts
A little bit hard for me to understand, but I will offer something that hopefully is understandable.

From what I know, there are 3 components to the remote key of the 156.

1. The key blade. The blade, if correct will unlock doors through the key hole and be able to be inserted into the ignition barrel. But it will not start the car.

2. RFID Chip. This is a small black piece of plastic which is housed within the remote key unit. It cannot do anything except communicate with the car when near the steering column and disable the immobilizer.

You need both the key blade, and the RFID chip to start the car. The RFID chip code will be one of the codes you have.

3. Remote lock/unlock and alarm set. The circuit board piece with the buttons attached is completely independent of the key blade and the rfid chip. The alarm frequency code will be the other code that you have. I'm not sure which is which, but there should be something about it in your owners manual if you have one.

From my readings of threads of the forum it would seem that the Alfa Romeo dealerships rarely know what is happening with their cars, especially once a new model has come out and replaced it. It would seem that you have everything required, but the dealership does not know what is required.

As a minimum you need a new key blade cut, and an immobilser chip to at least open and start the car.

That is all I have, 2 keys. One with working buttons for remote lock/alarm and one key where the remote function has stopped working but it can still unlock and start.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi,

I get GTA at the workshop I was told that they still need a code for the remote to be able to lock and unlock the doors? Was told they had contacted Alfa in Italy to get that code.

Is that right?
That is correct. For the 156 cars there is a separate code for the remote central locking and you get it from Alfa Romeo using the Vin number as a reference. It is different to the Electronic Code on the code card.

In cars like the 147 and onward that have Body Computers, they use the same Electronic Code that is on the Code Card for the remote central locking as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for late reply, but vacation time. Thank you for your response from both of you.
Ok, so that's the third code and then I have to wait for the message from the Alfa workshop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts